Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to give my betta fish a salt bath and he started to thrash and faint i only added one tsp of aquarium salt and i put him back in his tank and now he is facing up and breathing hard i dont know what to do :(

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi! Contact a moderator and have this thread moved to Diseases and Emergencies Forum - click on those three dots in the upper right hand corner of your post.
also, if you can take a couple of minutes, please fill out this form, it helps members give better replies

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many gallons is your tank? 5

Does it have a filter? Yes

Does it have a heater? Yes

What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:

What food brand do you use? Aqueon betta food

Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets

Freeze-dried?

How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Everyday, two pellets

Maintenance:

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly

What percentage of water did you change? 40%

What is the source of your water? Tap water

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacumm

What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0.25

Nitrate: 5.0

pH: 7

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? When i took him a salt bath

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Colors look faded looks stressed

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Stressed wont move breathing heavily

Is your Betta still eating? No

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Im not sure how i put him back in his tank

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No

How long have you owned your Betta? 6 months

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually feed him before i go to bed and i was giving him one because he had a white spot on his head

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Google says hes in shock but i dont know how he would be because i used the same water from his tank in the container i hope hes okay in awhile

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You need to feed him twice a day, and until you know for certain whether the white spot is his natural coloring or something else, I'd suggest don't do any more salt baths. A salt bath is rough on a fish.

Can we have a couple of pictures?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hes moving now but hes like kind of dashing and now hiding behind his plant but before he wasnt moving at all so maybe hes recovering

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi! I can't see the white spot you were referring to, but he looks thin.

Gradually increase the amount you're feeding, twice a day, and sometimes during the week give him an extra snack during the day.

As you're looking at him from above, he should look similar in shape from from to back like this fish;

Can you obtain some Indian Almond leaf, or plain decaffeinated rooibos tea? Add either of these to his tank, the water should look like this;

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I would turn off the lights and just leave him be for the moment. When he has recovered, feel free to post a picture of the white spot and we can try to help with that. If there is a need to adjust feeding it can be addressed then also.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How did you perform the salt dip? Did you dissolve the salt in a separate container then add it to the bath container? How much water did you use since its 1tbsp per 3 gallons. Anything over that for a fish that isnt sick can be hard on them, especially labyrinth breathers. Otherwise, I would suggest performing methyl blue dips instead of aquarium salt for potential issues. It tends to be easier to dose visually and rules out a number of potential illness/disease causes if ineffective.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts