Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked and looked and found this website! I hope someone can help me!! I have a beautiful betta who I have had for a good year now. He is alone in his 2 gallon heated tank. I do regular water changes and have real plant's in his home. I feed him twice a day a food I order from aquaticblendedfood.com I have not changed anything to stress him or added any type of plants or fish. I did have a mystery snail in his tank for about 30 min about 3 months ago but I removed it quickly because I don't think he liked sharing his home. Anyway I noticed about 3 weeks ago his color changed it became whiter and not as pink so I treated with bettafix and now he has a HOLE in his side! He was active and eating fine up until 6 days ago. I've treated with Kanaplex it didn't seem to do much, idk maybe I didn't have him eat the medicine thats why? I also just started Herbtana on Saturday and I don't think its working in fact it may be making it worse! I keep almond leaf extract in his normal routine. What is this and what can I do to help him!?!? It looks red and worse now! The first pic its pinkish white now it red white and pink. It looks like the hole has gotten bigger

Attachments

Registered
Many Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 1 Cory, 5 Birds.
Hello!

So sorry that your betta is not doing well.

You have already included a lot of information.

But could you please fill out this form so we make sure that we don't miss anything?

Just copy and paste it here.

Thank you. :)

Reactions: betta4ever!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello!

So sorry that your betta is not doing well.

You have already included a lot of information.

But could you please fill out this form so we make sure that we don't miss anything?

Just copy and paste it here.
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2 gallon
Does it have a filter? yes, changed weekly
Does it have a heater? yes,
What temperature is your tank? 78.9
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No he hates air stones!
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No friends, he likes to be alone.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Ordered on line and blood worms, brine shrimp, when I can get him to eat anything other than his pellets.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1-2 times a day 4-7 pieces. I take out what he doesn't eat.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? I was taking out about 30-50% weekly and then reduced it to 25%weekly. levels always looked good.
What is the source of your water? 1/2 Bottled spring water and 1/2 treated faucet water.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum with a Turkey baster.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? Dark Water almond leaf extract
What brand of conditioner? Seachum prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:1
Nitrate:0
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH):110
Alkalinity (KH):40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? month ago was the very first sign of white color
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? he has turned whiter, not pink all over and now has a hole. It started with the fading of his color where the hole is. His eyes also have become cloudy!
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed? He isn't swimming as much
Is your Betta still eating? yes, barely but If I feed him he will eat a peice of food. this started 3 days ago
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Betta fix, aquarium salt, herbtana,kanaplex. I ordered general cure. it has not come in yet..scared to try anything else.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, well when I first got him his fins became stringy and stuck together like. I put a heater in his tank and used betta fix. He was fine in a couple of days after that. This was about a year ago.
How long have you owned your Betta? about a year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No, aside from the tiny cup he was sitting on the shelf in!

Thank you. :)
Betta Fish Forum

aprilmdee

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can best help your Betta

Jump to LatestFollow

Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

[IMG alt="RussellTheShihTzu"]https://www.bettafish.com/d1/avatars/m/49/49434.jpg?1583224805[/IMG]
RussellTheShihTzu
Super Moderator
Joined Mar 19, 2013

22,880 Posts
Discussion Starter 路 #1 Oct 5, 2015 (Edited)

Many thanks to BF/TFK Member Mike for developing this questionnaire. It is the same form with a few additions.

Please copy and paste into a new message and fill out this form when seeking help for your Betta. This information and a clear photo posted directly into the thread will help us give you the most accurate advice possible. Without the information and photos the best we can do is guess.

Even if you're already answered many of the questions in text form you we ask you fill out the form so we will have a quick reference for information. Do not edit the form.

Before responding to a call for help please request this form be filled out or wait until it is.

If you need more information ask in text; do not make any alterations to this form. If you have suggestions for additions to this form please contact a Moderator.

Thank you,

The Betta Fish Team

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed?
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2 gallon
Does it have a filter? yes, changed weekly
Does it have a heater? yes,
What temperature is your tank? 78.9
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No he hates air stones!
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No friends, he likes to be alone.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Ordered on line and blood worms, brine shrimp, when I can get him to eat anything other than his pellets.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1-2 times a day 4-7 pieces. I take out what he doesn't eat.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? I was taking out about 30-50% weekly and then reduced it to 25%weekly. levels always looked good.
What is the source of your water? 1/2 Bottled spring water and 1/2 treated faucet water.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum with a Turkey baster.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? Dark Water almond leaf extract
What brand of conditioner? Seachum prime

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:1
Nitrate:0
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH):110
Alkalinity (KH):40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? month ago was the very first sign of white color
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? he has turned whiter, not pink all over and now has a hole. It started with the fading of his color where the hole is. His eyes also have become cloudy!
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed? He isn't swimming as much
Is your Betta still eating? yes, barely but If I feed him he will eat a peice of food. this started 3 days ago
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Betta fix, aquarium salt, herbtana,kanaplex. I ordered general cure. it has not come in yet..scared to try anything else.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, well when I first got him his fins became stringy and stuck together like. I put a heater in his tank and used betta fix. He was fine in a couple of days after that. This was about a year ago.
How long have you owned your Betta? about a year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No, aside from the tiny cup he was sitting on the shelf in!

Registered
Please do NOT treat your betta with medicine when you are not sure what is wrong. It might do more harm than what the betta is going through. Also, bettafix has a not very good for bettas has they contain oil which is bad so the betta鈥檚 labyrinth organ. And you say that you change the filter weekly? Do you mean changing the filter media weekly? Changing the filter media will cause beneficial bacteria to be lost so it is not recommended. One last thing, would it be possible to put him in a 5 gallon tank? I recommend at least 5 gallons per betta even though some others say 2.5gallons or even 1 gallon in enough.

Super Moderator
Is it possible you reversed your Nitrite and Nitrate readings?
Did you run a full 3 doses of Kanaplex? If you look at the white area it is raised all the way up his side and past his dorsal fin. It looks like it could be a tumor or severe fungal infection but I can't be sure. Maybe @Veloran can offer more help than I can.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is now laying at the bottom of my tank. I'm just a mess over this. I'm sure people think I'm crazy but I can't help but feel awful! I don't want to make it worse and I don't want him to suffer and I can't imagine putting him down..ughhh 馃槩馃槴

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it possible you reversed your Nitrite and Nitrate readings?
Did you run a full 3 doses of Kanaplex? If you look at the white area it is raised all the way up his side and past his dorsal fin. It looks like it could be a tumor or severe fungal infection but I can't be sure. Maybe @Veloran can offer more help than I can.
please anything

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please do NOT treat your betta with medicine when you are not sure what is wrong. It might do more harm than what the betta is going through. Also, bettafix has a not very good for bettas has they contain oil which is bad so the betta鈥檚 labyrinth organ. And you say that you change the filter weekly? Do you mean changing the filter media weekly? Changing the filter media will cause beneficial bacteria to be lost so it is not recommended. One last thing, would it be possible to put him in a 5 gallon tank? I recommend at least 5 gallons per betta even though some others say 2.5gallons or even 1 gallon in enough.
This is the tank he has been in since I noticed the change..he has the gravel that holds the beneficial bacteria. I also add stability when I do water changes. His water is always great thats what makes this so confusing to me. I have 4 other fish tanks and I've never seen anything like this..its just very frustrating because I hate not knowing what to do. I've been trying all this since I first noticed illness or the change..he has been eating up until today. I fed him brine shrimp but he only at one from me. He loves his pellets but seems like he can't open his mouth big enough today. He spit out the 2nd pinch of brine shrimp so he really only ate 1. not pinch 1 shrimp..he has propped himself up on my baster馃槶 I just want him to be better

Attachments

Super Moderator
I'm sorry, just noticed that what I tried to post yesterday didn't actually post.
First step is to get him into a hospital tank. Nothing but water, heater and someplace for him to rest. Cover the tank with a dark cloth or towel to him him more comfortable.
Then as an immediate therapeutic, a methylene blue dip. This is not going to fix the issue but hopefully stabilize him. It needs to be done in a separate container because it will stain that container.

It looks like a bacterial infection and I am surprised that the Kanaplex did not work (unless it some sort of internal failure which is the lesser likely issue). Depending on the results of the hospital tank and methylene dips, we can try another round of Kanaplex or decide if we want to blast him with a Kanaplex / Furan 2 combo.

The point is to eliminate external contributors to his ailment then treat the issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts