Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas I bought my son a fish tank. It's 30gallons and has a few fish in it so far. (2 platties, 2 black mollies, 4 serpae tetra and a tri-color shark -- yes, I know he'll have to go to a bigger tank when he's bigger.) They all came with the tank when I bought it on Kijiji.

So I've had the tank in great condition (thanks to the advice of the man I bought it from) since moving it in December.

My question to you is...

I bought a Betta yesterday for the tank and he's just hiding in the corner by some plants and the heater. I know it'll take some getting used to the new environment, but I don't know how long'ish and if there's anything I can do to hasten his feeling more at home.

When I fed him/them yesterday, he ate well and appears to be fully healthy, but he just sits there looking nervous.

Suggestions?
(30g tank; 80degree water; plants and other things to hide in; water is in very good condition - I test regularly; not much water low-medium amount of water movement; other fish don't really go near him except for a greeting from afar every once in a while.)

Thanks a lot!
Noel

·
Registered
224 Posts
he is probably stressed out due to the fact that there are the other fish in there. Generally bettas are kept on their own with maybe a snail or a dwarf frog. I would get him into a tank by himself with a heater and filter and he should perk up a bit.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I know plenty of bettas that are perfectly fine with tankmates. My betta is one of them. He gets depressed without his friends! It's kind of cute, actually. And then there are some that hate friends and want them for dinner, like my other betta. Vicious little thing.

It might take him some time to get used to everything, that's all. If you've only had him for about 2 days now, right? Sometimes it takes weeks for a betta to completely settle in. If he's eating, that's a good sign! He might just be surprised. He came from a tiny little lonely cold cup to live in a huuuuuge warm tank with friends. That takes some getting used to. :) Just give him a few more days and keep us updated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much! I'm motivated to keep waiting it out, rather than pulling him out and putting him into a tank alone.

I'll keep on keeping on, and see how it goes.

Anyone else have input regarding keeping Bettas in with other fish?

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,580 Posts
Give him several days to a week to get used to his new environment.

If yours is a Bala Shark he could be the source of your Betta's reticence to come out as Bala can be semi-aggressive. And Betta with long fins are particularly enticing. Serpae Tetra can also be nippy even if kept in big enough shoals to be comfortable (minimum of six).

Can you post a picture of the tank? It needs to be pretty heavily planted as Betta aren't fond of wide open spaces. They prefer environments with lots of things breaking up their line of sight and to give them a sense of security.

Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Russel,

Hi there. Thank you.
I'll upload a photo of my tank.

The Bala is completely docile, he spends most of his time chasing his reflection on the opposite side of the tank from where the Betta is. (I think it's because Bala's prefer to be in groups socializing, so he's trying to do so?) He's also pretty small right now, 2-3 inches or so.

The Tetra, as far as I've seen, haven't even paid attention to him - they only chase other members of their own species, in my tank at least.

The biggest issue has been one of the two mollies, (both are VERY curious) who chased him off a piece of food when I fed them yesterday. He didn't nip or anything, just swam in his direction. The Betta, being very timid, just backed into his corner.

In the left of the tank I have 2 different plants. He spends all of his time, other than meal time, hiding (quite well!) in the taller of the two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts