Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
plz help! My Betta Stephen who i've had for about 2.5 months has been lethargic for about 2 weeks now and at first I got the water tested and I had a nitrite problem but I fixed that within a few days and now the tests show no water parameter problems at all but no improvement for him. He has been staying at the bottom and struggling to get up for air and then going right back down again. his water temperature is always consistent at 79-81 degrees, and I have done 3 water changes in the last two weeks and tried rinsing the filter once. Some people have said it could be swim bladder disorder, but he hasn't eaten properly in like a week and he's not bloated and two days ago he pooped white meaning it was only mucus because there was no food inside him. he seems hungry, but when I try to feed him he either ignores it or tries to eat it but spits it out a minute later even though it's what he's always eaten before. He was in a 10 gallon with 2 minnows but a separator in between and the minnows have since been moved and I just now moved him into quarantine in a glass bowl with a thermometer, a piece of almond leaf, and his moss ball. He keeps looking worse and more tired.... PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey there. Welcome to the forum.
I know you already said some of the things on this form, but it'd be helpful if you could fill out the full version on this thread:
It gives us a clearer, and larger, scope of what's going on in your tank. Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
- 10 gallons
Does it have a filter?
- Yes
Does it have a heater?
- Yes
What temperature is your tank?
- Consistently 79-81 degrees.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
- No but I own one that I could move into it if needed.
Does your Betta have tank mates?
- It had 2 minnows up until this week but they’re gone now.
What kind?
- Just a nerite snail now.

Food:
What food brand do you use?
- Omega One
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
- Mini pellets
Freeze-dried?
- No
How often do you feed your Betta?
- Twice a day normally but he won’t eat right now.
How much?
- 3 pellets usually

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
- every week or week and a half
What percentage of water did you change?
- 30-50%
What is the source of your water?
- Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
- I vacuum the gravel and scrub the tank sides with an aquarium-only-toothbrush
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
- I add topfin readistart bacteria starter and I use seachem prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: I don’t know...
Hardness (GH): I don’t know
Alkalinity (KH): I don’t know

* I got the water tested three days ago at the pet store and the person just told me the ammonia nitrate and nitrite were all zero and didn’t tell me anything else. I will get it tested again and give exact numbers for all parameters.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
- June 27 or 28

How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
- Under his head looks a bit grey and the edges of his fins look like he’s been biting at them a bit.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
- he is lethargic, won’t eat anything or tries to eat and then spits it out, stays at bottom of the tank in a corner except to get air, has clamped fins, pooped white two days ago, seems tired and won’t flare, mostly breathes very slowly but after I stir up the tank he looks like he’s hyperventilating for a while.
Is your Betta still eating?
- No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
- extra water changes, removing the minnow tank mates, IAL added yesterday, keeping it dark to lower stress
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
- No this is a first
How long have you owned your Betta?
- 2.5-ish months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
- no he was healthy and happy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pictures, although they are not very good because he is hiding

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he's back in the 10 gallon now, not the glass bowl and I am hopefully going to be able to get the water tested again today and do another water change.

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
He might have internal parasites. White poop can be a sign of such. I don't know which anti-parasitic meds are available in Canada but that's what I would try.

When did you get the minnows? Did you rehome them or did they die?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got the minnows at the beginning of June and they were doing amazing until they were recently rehomed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He still isn't eating and at this point he looks basically fine on the outside he's just so tired and weak because he hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks and he tries but spits it out and I'm super worried :(((((

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
does anyone have any ideas? i got the water tested again and it all came back safe and normal. this is now 3 weeks he hasn't eaten and he tries but spits it out. he's getting weaker and i am very distressed please someone help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he is looking really bad now... still won't eat, i tried bloodworms, he tries to eat sometimes but just chews it up and spits it out, he's looking grey and metallic near his gills, theres a metallic spot on his tail fin that looks like its rotting away, bettafix seems to have done nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
he's clearly dying and I've consulted other forums and talked to people at Petsmart as well as an actually knowledgable fish place near me and they all don't know what's happening

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
he's in a plastic container at the top of my aquarium so that he doesn't haveto go far to breathe, and i have been adding betta fix and doing tiny water changes every other day just using a cup and taking water from the rest of the aquarium

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok his fins are turning black and falling off but by bit. I can’t get parasite medication because they don’t sell it in Canada and it would take 3 weeks to ship it here. By then I’m afraid he will be dead. Please help me if you have advice. I’m seriously considering euthanasia using clove oil because he’s so weak and starving and I dont know how to fix him. I am trying aquarium salt as my last ditch effort :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts