Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Does it have space for him/her to breathe at the top? Otherwise yeah it's pretty cool, I'm sure the plants would the heater as well, it will be like spring for them all the time! haha

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From their prototype they recently posted on Facebook, the betta seems to have plenty of air to breathe.

This company also sells home mushroom growing kits, if you're into that. ;P

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh that's cool, glad they took that into consideration!

(Sorry, mushrooms gross me out :sick: lol) But cool nonetheless!!

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I have always wondered how successful this system with only a single betta is.

In aquaponics, it seems like they tend to overstock their systems and use fast-growing and sometimes 'dirty' fish. I assume this is to maximise the amount of nutrients available to the growing plants.

I am not sure that a single betta is going to be able to provide the necessary nutrients to grow plants. I was always under the impression terrestrial plants much prefer to use nitrates over ammonia, while aquarium plants prefer to utilise the latter. Therefore, wouldn't the aim of the system be to produce as much nitrates as possible?

Just wondering in case any with aquaponics experience can answer me.

·
Registered
826 Posts
well my betta didnt have any problem sustaining my pothos plant....but who knows, its a cute idea if done right

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, guys, I caved.

I bought the AquaFarm and ordered a 7.5w heater and thermometer.

The site said it's going to be released sometime this month, so I'm hoping it'll be here soon. :)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Cool, good luck with it! I know, I personally would suck at growing the plants/herbs haha but I've at least got a green thumb when it comes to aquatic plants thankfully XD

So good luck and tell us how it turns out! Should be pretty neat :D

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Lol, please, I'm up to 15 Betta's now XD I do need an intervention! I've got 4 boys, 9 girls and 2 younging's waiting to be sexed. All of this in 5 tanks lol

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hmm, they say it's organic, but that would depend heavily on the fish food and water conditioner used. Wonder what they include with it? Most water conditioners say not to use with food fish. I would take that to mean that you shouldn't water food PLANTS with it either.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, they say it's organic, but that would depend heavily on the fish food and water conditioner used. Wonder what they include with it? Most water conditioners say not to use with food fish. I would take that to mean that you shouldn't water food PLANTS with it either.
I was wondering the exact same thing, tekkguy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so happy I found this thread! I will be a beginner betta guardian with this tank. I've been waiting since December to get it since I ordered it with their Kickstarter.

http://store.backtotheroots.com/product_p/aquaponics.htm

Freyja - If you look at the pictures on the website, you will see that the amount of air that is in the tank is based on how much water is in there. I will not be filling mine up to the top. I'll also probably have a water heater cord coming out of my feeding location to vent more air into the tank.

http://theaquaponicsource.com/frequently-asked-questions/aquaponic-gardening-rules-of-thumb/

It looks like there are Hydroponic water conditioners that should be used with the food plants.

The website says that the AquaFarm will include "Fish food and water conditioners to get started right away"

I'm thinking about adding a small water plant of some sort to reduce the betta's stress a bit... also maybe a marimo moss ball, a snail or some ghost shrimp into my tank. What do you think? Will it all fit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's why I want to get a small plant for inside the aquarium as well. I'm not a fan of plastic in general.

I'm thinking maybe a Anubias Barteri.

The tank is roughly 10" wide, by 11" high, by 6" deep. The tank itself holds 3 gallons of water.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
3 gallons is good :) Yea, you can make that betta friendly with a driftwood and some plants... But I think you'll need to be careful since the herbs on top will be competing for the nutrients in the water and as LBF already mentioned, one single betta might not produce enough Nit/Amm by itself.. Maybe get an apple snail or nerite too.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update!

Finally got my Aquafarm in and all set up! Here it is and it's growing plants just great! My betta was a little stressed the first few days, but he's adjusted wonderfully now. :)

I have wheat grass, basil, and kaleidoscope lettuce growing in the netty pots.

Claude is resting at the bottom, being a bum! :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
How awesome that would be if it was bigger and wider! As it is, it still seems cool! How easy is it to heat, and what are water changes like?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.