Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I got my beta from my local pet shop and hes really healthy. He does have a certain gene that makes them change color (I believe its called marble gene, forgive me if im wrong) and ive looked on many sites not many have much info on them. I have some questions, for example:Will they change color forever? Will this effect his health? How rare is this? etc. Any inputs are welcome! :)

·
Super Moderator
19,167 Posts
To answer your questions about the marble gene:

1 They can change colors their entire lives but most don't. Mine didn't change much after six months.

2. No, will not effect his health.

3. Very common.

You should post a photo of him. We love photos ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
To add to the above post; marble genes, also known as the "jumping gene", are unpredictable - when or how they will change color. Some change since very young, others change after 3-4 months old. Some change til their a year old some stop after six months. . . Etc.

In the past, when bettas were mainly base colored, those carrying the genes usually start life fully colored. Then they slowly turn colorless then return to their original colors (hence were given names such as "blue marble", "red marble", etc). Some may change further, but to my knowledge this was quite rare.

Since the genes allow irregular color combos (like what you see on koi and other marbled colors - which normally is not be possible without marble genes), breeders introduce them to their breeding line in hopes of creating new color combos. Now you can see a wide range of color combos and their given trade names.

I haven't been following their development, so I'm not sure how they now start and end. But most marble based colors will change color/pattern at some point. Personally, I would not name a changing color/pattern. But marbles are quite popular these days as they produce colorful bettas. And breeders are giving them new names which adds to their popularity.

Some "responsible" breeders are breeding out marble genes to avoid color changing - hence when advertising a koi betta, buyers actually get a non changing koi betta. However, most have not fully succeeded and many simply do not care since breeding out the genes is very difficult.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou thats very helpful, recently his color changing has been slowing down. I'll try to get a good picture of him.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is him now (his fins are looking a little ragged lately if anyone could tell me what that is than thankyou)
IMG-0756 (3).jpg
And this is when I first got him:)

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
You can't really prevent fin biting for an isolated betta. Once fins get big enough they reduce them. Only in female sororities some may stop the habit, but that may cause another issue - male attacked/sucker bit by females and become stressed.

Try to avoid reflection/shadow as best you can. Heavily planting the tank may also reduce the habit since he should feel safer. But this doesn't always work though, especially if he is intimidated by something around the tank.

Be sure to give him anti fungal meds as a preventive measure.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, but is it ok if we wait until the virus settles down because I dont have any meds for him on hand but I will put extra plants in.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Ok, but is it ok if we wait until the virus settles down because I dont have any meds for him on hand but I will put extra plants in.
I usually don't medicate the water of my fin bitters unless they've really done a job on the fins and at that point I add Seachem StressGuard. Another thing that will help is Indian Almond Leaves, if you can't get them, or don't want to, you can use Roobio tea without any additives like flavors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts