Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Im curious about how some of you got involved in fish keeping, I for one got my first betta when I was 8. when i was really little (now too) I was obsessed with animals, i constantly bugged and bothered my mom to get me an animal. It took years of asking and pleading for her to cave in, so one day when i got home from school i saw her sitting at the dining room table with a small cup with a little red betta inside. I fell in love with that betta from the moment I saw him, though my parents didnt do any research on bettas so he was in a 1 gallon tank with an extremely rough filter and no heater and had fin rot for most his life, he lived 1 year with me. he passed away roughly a week after my 9 birthday. I remember waking up to see him dead, I was devastated. After that I planned to get a new betta, but my dad broke the tank while cleaning it so that didnt happen. Fast forward a few years to my 11 birthday, my aunt and mom teamed up and got me a five gallon, As soon as we got that tank we immediately got fish, so I didnt have time to do any research and got 1 betta, 6 tetras, 3 snails, 4 cory cats. within a month all those fish had passed. About 2 weeks after that I got pig my marble betta that is still alive to this day. I also have a ten gallon that I got a few month agobwith 1 otto catfish, 1 cory catfish, 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 swordtail/platy hybrid fry. Im aware that some of those fish are schooling fish and am planning to get more as soon as this pandemic clears a little bit.
So thats my story I would be really interested to hear yours, im sure there is some funny and interesting stories out there.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I got my first betta on a road trip when I was twelve, about a year ago. On one stage of the trip we bought the tank, and 6 hours later we got the fish! Donofin was my first fish, and that wasn't his only road trip. A few months later we had to visit family a state away, we planned to stay about a month. So we packed up the tank and kept him in a mason jar for the 2 day drive there! Once we reached our destination we unpacked his tank and he lived in it at our grandma's house. We did the same for the way back!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Great stories!
my mom has always been an animal lover, she has had fish tanks since I can remember. My first bettas were three females I picked out when I was 8 years old. Mom put them in her big community tank where they lived for four years lol. My first tank was a 10 gallon and a bunch of guppies I got from a class mate because they were multiplying and he needed to find a home for all the babies. I had that tank until 7th grade. Honestly the fish were never my first priority I liked them but there was so many other things to do. I said my mom is an animal lover... well we had lots of other animals to take care of. I spent more time riding horses then paying attention to the fish tanks. When I finished school and got a job and my own place I happened to see an Orange vail tail betta that wanted to come home with me he was my first fish in a really long time. I named him crush, after orange crush soda lol. He was with me for five years. Still my favorite betta ever.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My first experiences with fish were pretty bad, TBH. Back when I was maybe seven, my older sister did a "science project" with the rest of her class where they kept some kind of minnow fry in a jug of water with duckweed. The idea being to show how the fish feeds off the plant and the plant feeds off the fish..... Yeah, no. Not good, and it ended as horribly as you would expect. When it was my turn to be in that class, the teacher had decided not to run the "experiment" and at the time I was heartbroken.

So instead my parents let me and my siblings win goldfish at a fair. We put about four of them in a tiny half-gallon bowl, no filter or even an airstone, tons of flakes every day because we all wanted to feed them, we didn't even know to "age" the water to get chlorine out the one time we did a water change. I am sure you can predict how terribly that all went. Those poor fish. :(

I didn't have any interest again in fish until college, when I discovered I was allowed to have up to a 10g tank in my dorm room. I spent the entire summer planning out my tank and doing research, and got Jude my very first betta! He was a plain red VT and super chill, never flaring at anything in his entire life.

And I've been obsessed ever since, with only about a year's gap from owning bettas in the past nine years. I even got my mom in on it with her own bettas, though I make sure she's giving them better care than our ill-fated goldfish. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts