Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well - seeing the fill out form for betta health issues here I go!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank --- 10 gallons
Does it have a filter - yes
Does it have a heater - yes
What temperature is your tank - 82 - 83 degrees fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Not sure
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed him twice a day, just a couple of pellets in the morning and at night.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
I do a water change every week.
What percentage of water did you change?
I change usually 1/3 of the water every week.
What is the source of your water?
I use my tap water but I have a filter that removes most of the metals and whatnot.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
I vacuum the substrate every week.
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
I just used Tetra Easy Balance Plus to lower the alkalinity (KH) of the water and now the PH is high. Ugh.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Don't have test strips for this .. yet
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 to 20
pH: 8 <----problem
Hardness (GH): 30
Alkalinity (KH): 240 <----problem

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
About the last 2 weeks.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
He's got some white-ish scales along his sides. He's a red betta so it doesn't seem normal.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Not at all. He's just happy to see me and when I feed him he knows. He does his own thing.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Not yet
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Nope, just got him a month ago
How long have you owned your Betta?
About a month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
No... the whiteness of the scales is something new. I just want some input as to what may be happening.

I also have photos... as best I can get if that may help. I just want some advice.

Okay edit here - here are some photos. Sorry I've been busy running around (I'm a pet sitter) so if anyone can help that'd be great. And he's hard to take photos of on a phone.

From above -
Wood Rectangle Food Art Electronic device

The side - I think you can see it really good in this picture
Organism Wood Dragon Marine invertebrates Plant

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you post the photos? If so I am not able to see them. If you can repost them that will help a lot. Do the white spots seem fuzzy or raised?
No, not really. just kinda dull looking and it's almost like there is a film of something on them. Is it Ich?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are the white spots the ones all over his body and parts of his face? Or are you talking about the little blurry line that's along the side of his body?
It could just be his scales, as KatieMR said.
But the film, is it clear or does it look kinda slick? And have you seen any of the like film hanging off of him? If so, it could be his slime coat is damaged or a fungus. But I'd recommend getting more opinions, I'm not sure what it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey! Thanks for all the replies. He does still eat and my tank could use some work. Maybe I'll pop into one of the local aquarium shops here. He didn't have it when I got him (almost a month ago) and so that's why I'm concerned..

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't see any evidence of ich, but perhaps someone with more experience can chime in. Ich looks like salt sprinkled over the fish. That to me looks like he's a dragon scale, but I'm not 100%. @BettaloverSara, @imaal, do you guys have any thoughts?
I agree with @KatieMR--not ich. Your betta looks perfectly normal. He's developing his adult coloration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you to all of you - I went into a professional fish store and yes - it's just him getting his nice new scales! Phew - I was so worried. Thank you all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts