Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cat: Harry. Bettas: Aeneas, Artemis, Janus, Jupiter, Mars, Pluto, Saturn, and Vulcan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I’m Jane, and I’m a 26 year old nurse from the Boston area. I have eight bettas, all in their own tanks. Seven boys, one girl.

I was cycling my tanks when I learned that a former colleague’s cousin told him that she was going to flush her betta down the toilet alive if she couldn’t rehome the fish. Couldn’t have that! So I got her that very day, and stopped the fishless cycle as it was only beginning anyway. She’s a little Cambodian female who I called Artemis. She’s spunky, curious, friendly, and even the non-fish people in my life think she’s a cutie.

I went to a LFS to get some Seachem Prime. I was pretty upset by the betta display. There was one fish in particular. His water was a murky brown, and stool/uneaten food had together congealed into a good sized ball. He had severe SBD, and was buried in the pile of stool, thrashing and thrashing to get out but couldn’t.

I couldn’t get him out of my mind. I had heard that a fish in cycle was a lot for a beginner (had a betta as a kid, he lived to be 7 amazingly but I did not know a thing about cycling or proper back then-my 3 gallon tank for him was seen as super luxury). Wondered if it was worth trying. Reached out to Reddit and Facebook groups, which encouraged me.

I went back for him. I noticed next to him a gray betta, floating at the top. Thought he was dead. Went for a closer look and he began to move a bit, gills panting hard. I went to get that little blue crowntail, but the manager wouldn’t let me take him home due to his illness! Managed to get away with getting the one I had thought was dead that day though, alongside a third tank. Named this little one Aeneas. He has chronic SBD but is so colorful now; I call him my rainbow fish.

The next day I was able to go back for the other betta, who I named Vulcan. He was so sick. Couldn’t swim at all for three days. Didn’t eat for five. Had three separate infections. Stick thin. On the third day, I noticed some abdominal swelling but thankfully he avoided full dropsy. Each morning I would hold my breath a little walking up to his tank, wondering if he was still alive. A friend via a Facebook group helped so much. After two weeks in a breeding box, methylene blue, and antibiotics, he recovered quite a bit! He has chronic SBD, and it’s fairly bad, but he can swim normally for decent stretches of time, eats, and even blows a bit of a bubble nest!

(in the first picture, his jar water had been cleaned and he was waiting for me to finish preparing his tank) I then cycled two other tanks fishlessly with used media. I got a gorgeous delta tail paradise betta who I named Saturn. He is fancy and he knows it! I never knew a fish could be melodramatic but he sure is. I once removed him from his tank to re-scape it. He flared at me the entire time in the cup. Literally. If I looked away (or he thought I did) he would stop. He also won’t eat from my hand if I get home from work after 10pm, as if angry that I took so long to feed him!

The next day I got another betta, this time from PetsMart. That was tough. I wanted to take them all quite badly. But chose based on which one was in the worst shape yet most likely to make it. This was Janus, a red crowntail who looked like a Cambodian at first. He healed like Superman from his ammonia poisoning and SBD, but has dwarfism. His proportions are a bit unusual, and he is half the length of the others despite being mature (builds bubble nests, hasn’t grown at all in the time I’ve had him).

No plans for more, but life had other ideas! I went to PetsMart for plants. There I saw a gorgeous dumbo rose gold male, coloring I have loved from being a kid, but in really sorry shape. His gills were badly inflammed, bleeding. He was marked “Clearance, 80% off” with no returns accepted. Clearly they knew he was dying. I initially left but couldn’t get him out of my mind. Got him right before closing, and got a tank at the very good Petco near me also right before closing (shoutout to the guy who helped me that day-he was so nice and helpful even though it was so late). Named the betta Cupid.

Sadly, despite intensive treatment, Cupid was too far gone. He passed away the following day. His gills improved a lot, but not enough. (He is alive in that picture, but it was about 2 hours before he passed). He is my first and so far only fish loss. He is buried in a flower pot, and next spring, I will plant a pink flower in his memory there.

I cycled his tank. At the other Petco near me (not the really good one), there had been a king betta who I was really torn between when I got Saturn. Decided if he was still there once the cycle was done, I’d get him. He was! And that’s how I got Jupiter. Jupiter has the same coloring as a betta imbellis and is equally insane. He once leapt into a filter output despite parameters being 0,0,5, pH 7.0 (use a buffer admittedly), temp 79.8, plenty of hides. He had a huge bubble nest and it is thought he may have been looking for a girlfriend! Actually couldn’t find him ages and was worried he had leapt out and the cat had gotten to him. Was amazed and very grateful to find him alive when I took apart the filter despite knowing it was impossible he was sucked in. He split his tail fin and lost some scales, but healed totally within a couple weeks.

All was calm and bright. I planned one more tank in another room where one would go well. Cycled it, and as I finished, I heard about someone near me who was getting rid of their “complete ecosystems”. Two bettas. Had not planned on two more but how could I leave the other one?

Got a black orchid named Pluto and a red crowntail named Mars that day. Pluto developed acute columnaris within 12 hours of me getting him. He had a tiny spot on him that I didn’t love the look of the day I got him, but gave him a day in clean water to see. Came home from work, and he had two huge lesions, bright red gills, and was panting at the bottom. With Furan-2, other antibiotics, and methylene blue, he recovered! He’s a very active, inquisitive little guy.

Mars is the ultimate Anger Fish ™ and his name suits him! He has normal activity, coloring, appetite, and builds a bubble nest. But the lad is always flaring! Gorgeous actually-he is a stunning fish.

So I have eight for now and am capping at eight, at least for now.

·
Registered
Cat: Harry. Bettas: Aeneas, Artemis, Janus, Jupiter, Mars, Pluto, Saturn, and Vulcan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all! I am lucky-they are great little guys (and gal!). I am in the process of seeing if I can convert their tanks to the Walstad method. It’ll be a gradual transition but I think it’ll be great for my ones with chronic SBD especially.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts