Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Jordyn.

A few months ago I was walking around a PetSmart with my best friend while she was buying a new cat food and I stumbled into the aquarium/fish section. I had never owned a fish or kept a pet before but this guy was the last little betta in the last tiny cup in the whole section and he was laying on his side at the bottom of the dingy cup. He was the sorriest looking thing I'd ever seen.

So I bought him. The sales lady thought I was insane to buy him and suggested that I come back for a better one when he died. After purchase I did find out he had fin rot, some sort of bacterial infection and is half blind in one eye. He was a sorry looking fish, he's still my sorry looking fish. I googled betta care and it brought me to this forum which I've been lurking on for ages now.

I got him his own 4 gallon tank with a betta hammock, some flashy plants and a filter. His tank is on top of my lingerie chest and he loves flaring at my sparkly jewelry tree. I found out as much care information as I could and he's slowly becoming a fat, piggy, very active and happy little fish today. I have to thank your community for the help. Any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

Oh, and his name is Atlas.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) It's nice to see a fresh face around here, because usually it's just some of the older members. For example, I've been seeing Tree around here a lot today.

I suggest putting in maybe some marine salt in your tank? It speeds up the healing process on all fish diseases in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
welcome to the forum. Looks like you did a great job rescuing him.

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Hello and welcome to you and Atlas :wave:

He is one lucky fish!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think he's cute! And how insane to say to come back for a better one after he died! Like he was totally disposable! Stupid ppl. pfft. But yes, welcome to the forum (and beware, bettas are addictive!)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have found that the bettas we save are the most grateful for it, the quickest to come say hi. I have tried saving three, two very successfully, and one that only got a few good months after. It usually turns out to be every other betta I buy is a rescue, and the others end up being ones that pick me, regardless of tail type, health or color. Welcome, hope Atlas keeps doing well

·
Registered
181 Posts
welcome to the forum! i get my bettas from petsmart and 2 died 1 barley lived a month and the other jumped out of his bowl and died another one had a parasite so mom made me exchange for jump outof bowl one then exchange the body!!!!for a half moon betta which i had since friday and i already think its sick againand i just spent a lot of money getting a tank to ensure this one wont be sick but thats just petsmart for you. and they are the best pet store in my neiborhood. i wish i could find a breeder. i shouldnt be ranting here but the poor treatment of fish!LOL oh and i just saw my new betta bashing his head :shock:eek:n the gravel. poor fish. sorry for rant. i know its in the wrong place.
WELCOME!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow, that's a really amazing story about your fish! I applaud your willingness to take this cutie home and do all your research to make sure he has the best care. I have to admit I usually try to get healthier looking fish because I'm too worried that I'll lose them and be devastated! It looks like Atlas is happy and on the road to recovery! Good job and welcome to the forum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts