Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a UC Davis graduate with a bachelors in English and over 40 units in Math and Science including Upper division Non-Avian Herpetology (ecology and Squamata emphasis) I have owned reptiles, fish, and other animals all my life. After moving out on my own, I decided I needed a pet; and fish were the most reasonable. I started out with a betta and my old kit (a pint hexagon) from years gone by. I have since got a one gallon filtered tank, and currently I'm breaking in a 15 gal(US) long 24 x 12 x 12. I see this as a way to indulge in my loves of Chemistry, Ecology, and Research. I like the challenge of trying to achieve and maintain a nice looking fish tank. Of my fish, I've named 3.... I'm not really into personalizing them.... Just making them good looking and keeping them in optimal conditions.....

:cool:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hi, I have a friend who is currently going to UC Davis for Ornithology, and another who was going to be a doctor but has changed her focus to lab work and creating new medications. They both love it :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was an interesting experience for a kid that went through 12 years of parochial school, made up of what many would consider, "A bunch of rich kids," and from the Central Valley, ala Clovis/Fresno, CA. Let's just say, I had some good times, but there is a reason I got my BA in 2 years. The politics of Davis and Me, just never seemed to totally agree, at least at the time. I have wonderful memories of UC Davis too though! :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Now I find myself living in an equally liberal town, in comparison to Davis,... Long Beach... Good Grief. Rent is cheap though! The opportunities are greater down here too.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
ooo rent is cheaper down their XD I'm going to the academy of art in SF and commute on the train from San Jose where I live with my parents. Once I graduate and get a job so I can afford a place I really don't want to pay a arm and a leg to stay in this area lol

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta adventures and seeing pic....

Enjoy your stay.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome from another Californian!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome from a fellow forum newbie! I grew up in the more rural/practically Folsom end of Granite Bay, CA & lived in Roseville for 3 years before moving out here to GA. I've got a bunch of friends who went to or are currently finishing up at Davis! Nice to hear so many places I know of being talked about. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I grew up in FRESNO/Clovis. I only went to SCHOOL in Davis. 2 years at that! Yeah I took a heavy course load and rushed things once I transferred. Glad I did too because right as I got out, tuition jumped BIG TIME.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My dad worked jobs of several different varieties out in Fresno for a lot of my childhood. Holy cow, 2 years is fast. UC's in general had so many tuition jumps in the last handful of years, good job getting out before the costs got extra nutty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts