Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a college student and just finished up my first year studying veterinary medicine. I have been considering and researching a betta fish for most of my spring semester, and am going to make the plunge and buy my tank this weekend. I have cared for dogs and cats all my life, and miss something to care for, as well as the companionship.

A few questions:
I am debating between a 5 gallon and 3 gallon tank. I understand 5 gallon would be better, but I am thinking about transportation. How often would I have to change the water weekly/monthly as this may influence my decision.
Also, if I decide to go and cycle my tank, what is a good way to keep as much beneficial bacteria in the tank as possible when moving? I am buying some stability to have a small supply of bacteria to re-add, but would not like to rely on that.
Any other tips on moving and transporting would also be great!

Excited to meet you all and share our love of fish.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Welcome!
If you are concerned about water changes then the bigger the tank, the better. Go with the 5g. Not sure if this is by the book, but I always at least siphon once a week and do a water change inbetween.
As for trying not to kill the cycle when moving, Try keeping the filter cartridge in a container of tank water when moving it. Getting dry would kill off the bacteria. It also of course depends on how far you are moving it. How long would the tank be not up and running between trips?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trip itself would be two hours, I would say three hours total between breaking down, setting up again, and possible traffic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts