Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I'm Tawni and I just got my first Betta almost 4 weeks ago - a female who we named Lilly. She's really fun and friendly! I just wanted to become part of a community that can offer support and help through our little journey.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.
The first picture shows big fat belly. That's a bit too much and will harm your wet pet in the long run. Little frequent feedings are better than one big feeding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi indjo! This is a question I was going to ask around on here. She always has this belly and she has eggs. I do one to two pellets twice a day. So a total of 4. Is that still too much?
I am welcome to recommendations! I generally feed in AM and PM.

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
I can't say exactly how many they need. Some individuals are different - have smaller bellies. 2 pellets per feeding shouldn't normally be too much. But those with smaller bellies should be fed less - only til belly begins to plump. Some of mine only need 20 bloodworms per feeding while others can take 25 (or even 30) before bellies plump up.

For future - in case you get more bettas; NEVER feed newly bought bettas too much because they're not used to it. Feed gradually, adding more every couple of days - to allow their bellies to expand/adapt.

Just occurred to me . . . How old is your little girl. Or what size is she. If she is only1", then she is young and has growing ahead of her. That would explain why 2 pellets made her belly bloat like that.

·
Super Moderator
5,857 Posts
Not sure - betta pellets are very small. Maybe feed 2 pellets in am and 1 in pm. This will at least reduce bloating period. She is young, has growing ahead of her. Over feeding a bit shouldn't harm them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts