Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a 40 gallon breeder which I've divided into 5 different sections.

I have 6 betta fish but I don't know what to add to their tank for hides. Something not too expensive would be ideal as I'd need 5 of whatever it is.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
18,362 Posts
Going to be a nice tank. Congratulations!

I bought small pieces of slate and propped them against the sides/dividers. They don't take up as much room.

I'm sure you know that you need plants more than you need "hides."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Yeah, I definitely need more plants but I don't have a CO2 system running yet so I can't leave the bulbs on for too long (too much light and not enough CO2).

Someone had just criticized my aquarium for "not having enough hides" so I got concerned that maybe the fish don't feel safe/feel too exposed.

But they don't seem bothered by that. They love to dig into the carpet plant and it's deep enough for their entire bodies to fit inside now.

I just wanted to know if there is anything I could use in the meantime until I'm able to make the tank dense with plants.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stumped...

I'm working on the same.

I'm not a huge fan of the hides sold in store, also too expensive.

I've been looking at small terracotta pots, tea light warmers, craft mesh, mugs, or even using glue to create my own with pebbles. I've only tried the mug and tea light warmer so far and my little female enjoys the warmer but so far my big guy hasn't used the mug at all.

I'm currently trying to find a hide that is open at both ends to try in a sorority so no one gets cornered. I really like the slate idea and might give it a try soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts