Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First- Sorry I'm asking so many questions!

Second- What's a fairly common household item that is safe to use as a hidey hole for my Betta? I meant to buy him one today but I forgot.

Don't say a terracotta flower pot because we don't have any. I already checked. Anything else?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup coffee mug or even if you can go outside and find some nice sized rocks and stack them into a small cave! Just make sure that you clean the rocks completely!

·
Registered
843 Posts
As long as it is ceramic, I don't see a problem after you clean it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Ceramic or plastic bowls, coffee mugs, small tubberwares, and if you have a hamster you could use a short section of hamster tubing.

Of course, before you use any of those, rinse them out really well with hot water to make sure they are clean, :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay.

I used to have a bunch of hamster stuff but my mom got rid of it so I'll just find him a mug and rinse it really well.

He's finally eating (It's been 3 days since I got him and I was kind of worried, but now he's chasing the flakes around the tank, thank god!).

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes. Anything ceramic. DON'T go outside to get something.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I agree-- do not just grab random pretty stuff. My dad thought it would be pretty to use REAL sea shells to decorate his tank as a kid. BAD idea, the shells come from salt water for a reason. D:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Some great advice I got was "if it's safe enough for food, it's safe enough for your fish.. in most cases". Just make sure whatever you decide to use doesn't have sharp edges that could catch on his/her body or fins.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Very true! Smooth is good. Also, I like to have a small variety and change the tank up once in a while. It looks pretty and it gives him something new to explore. I want to get him a present shaped hiding spot for Christmas!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Dollar stores always sell all kinds of weird ceramic trinkets, and food bowls and things like that, especially around the holidays. I wonder if you couldn't find a present shaped bowl or something?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts