Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gang,

So...I tried a couple snails for a second time. A week in I suddenly notice they're dead. No idea why. Temperatures were stable, gave algae wafers, etc.

Tested the water and see that I have 1 ppm ammonia and between 2 and 5 ppm nitrites. Nitrates are around 5ppm.

Immediately did a water change, dosed the tank with prime, and added some tannin water. Both my bettas seem okay, still moving around and eating lots, but my one is also healing from an injury so I'm freaking out.

Tips for how often to do water changes, etc for levels to normalize? Silver lining: seems like i have the start of a nitrogen cycle...yay!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello gang,

So...I tried a couple snails for a second time. A week in I suddenly notice they're dead. No idea why. Temperatures were stable, gave algae wafers, etc.

Tested the water and see that I have 1 ppm ammonia and between 2 and 5 ppm nitrites. Nitrates are around 5ppm.

Immediately did a water change, dosed the tank with prime, and added some tannin water. Both my bettas seem okay, still moving around and eating lots, but my one is also healing from an injury so I'm freaking out.

Tips for how often to do water changes, etc for levels to normalize? Silver lining: seems like i have the start of a nitrogen cycle...yay!
Also, yes, i have removed and vacuumed out any possible snail gunk left

1 - 2 of 2 Posts