Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two panda Cory fish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?4 pellets once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?1 to 2 changes a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Black water extract, prime water conditioner, prime stability.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:1.0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0-5.0
pH:8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail bitting, fins look curled a bit or matte in appearance, almost thin looking
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Moved one fish into hospital tank and treating with AQ salts with daily water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6-8 months

So I have had my tank set up and cycled for a few months, added two bettas to the tank about 2-3 weeks ago,everything was fine until the last water change about three days ago, The morning after I had changed the water my one beautiful betta had ate his tail off almost down to a stub as well as his dorsal fin, I think maybe the current might have stressed him out. I removed him from the tank and put him in a hospital tank with AQ salts and covered the sides with a black ear warmer I have so any reflection wouldent bother him. the other fish seems to have been doing fine. The same day I went to a LFS and got two live floating plants as well as two panda Cory's to help keep the tank clean. The fish seem to get along fine or even ignore each other so that's not to bad, but the next day I noticed my other bettas tail is ripped and looks like its almost disintegrating, I don't see and black edging, actually the parts hanging off are more pale (he is dark blue himself). I've been trying to keep the ammonia levels down but it seems like nothing is changing even after I do a water change, I took the filter media out and rinsed it in the tank water because it was looking really nasty, I've had it in for about a month or two, I want to change it but my nitrate levels are pretty low already and I don't want them dropping any more.. What is going wrong? And how can I fix my ammonia levels in my tank? Also if any one has any suggestions to help with severe tail biting PLEASE don't hesitate to share, I now have two tail biters and one that could possibly be starting.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Can you test your tap water? I'd like to know the ammonia and pH of it.

If your tap water is basic/alkaline and has a high ammonia concentration, even the Prime may not be enough to keep the ammonia level in check. For now, I would do 1.5 times the normal amount of Prime. Ie: Add 3 drops per gallon (rather than 2).

So this fish is now in a small QT tank? If so, what's the pH and ammonia in that tank? I don't like how short his caudal fin is - it's getting close to his body. How much salt do you currently have in there? What's the water temp? How often are you doing water changes?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would keep him occupied by putting him in a bigger bowl with lots of plants to hide and play in. You should buy ammonia remover from your LPS and start treating him. I think you should start using Stress Coat because it helps heals fin damage. So how is he now?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ammonia removers are not long-lasting and cannot replace fresh water. In fact, they only deactivate ammonia for a short period of time, until it all activates at once. In a small bowl, it is not a good idea. Bowl cleaners are designed with this idea, but are made specifically for bowls, and would be preferable (Advice given to me by a betta breeder. I have never tried ammonia removers myself).

A larger tank is probably a better idea for fin rot recovery, even though the fish may have trouble getting around. A bowl will very quickly become toxic, and the amount of water changes needed to keep it healthy ends up being a waste of time and chems. It may also stress out your betta.

A larger tank with a filter, heater, and clean water is best. For fin rot, I've had very good results with bettafix. It is the only thing I've ever used other than salt, so I can't recommend anything else, but if you have concerns with it, it might be better to wait for a second opinion.

Good luck Reese! I hope your fish recovers soon.

Reactions: dramaqueen

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does your betta like to sit by the filter? My betta does and his fin got stuck in the intake I had to go but a sponge cover because he just would not leave the intake alone I was told keep water clean and warm and try stress coat hope it helps good luck

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
You originally posted this about 6 weeks ago.

Did you ever test your tap water? What were the ammonia and pH readings?

What is the current ammonia and pH in the tank?

Has his condition changed at all? Can you post a new photo?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts