Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
I have a 2 gallon aquarium with a fluval 13 watt compact fluorescent light and I am thinking that the light would be a lil too much for the tank but im looking into buying some high light plants for the back ground. I currently have red ludwigia in the back and ihave some java ferns attached to a drift wood and ibelieve some dwarf sag.

I have been battling an algae outbreak and I believe by getting some fast growing plants, it would absorb excess nutrients, but not too sure what plants are fast growing plants.
thanks!

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
I have the same set up and it is a lot of light without adding CO2. it took a month or better me to get a handle on the water chemistry and photo period before I beat back the green hair algae. I keep the light on 6 hours aday. I dose Fleet Enema (sodium phosphate) and no salt(Potassium chloride) to use up the nitrate in the tank. but you most likely have to add some form of CO2

Rick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks iwas adding api co2 booster then everythj was going good then boom algae outbreak! then i stopped dosing and had the lights of for about 2 days in a row and everythn is coming back to normal. ihate algae lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the exact same setup, 2.5 gallon w/ 13w CFL on for about 8-10 hrs per day.

you can either lower the amount of light you have to like..3-4 hrs per day or you will have to force your plants to grow really fast. java fern is definitely not a good candidate for that. I have dwarf sag/red ludwigia, while they love some good light, they aren't great sinks.

the plants that I find absorb a lot of stuff really quickly is hornwort, this is a weed plant and a weed for a reason. I find hornwort curbs the algae growth and I have some extra growing in a bucket, I dose pure ammonia for the bucket as fert and they can finish up a 2ppm dose within a day under sunlight. guppy grass and cardamine other good ones.

Some other lovely high lights you can have is sunset cabomba, mermaid weed, scarlet temple, ludwigia peruensis and red ammannia (I been dying to one day own this plant). All these plant are med-hard care though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts