Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know that within a cycle its natural to have a nitrite spike but is it natural to have it for a whole week and just cant seem to get it down?! I've been thinking of using some plants to help me lower them but that might just completely crash my cycle. I have a 3.5 gal and doing fish in. My betta seems to be acting fine though :/ (Although he did have a rough start.).

My water conditioner is prime fyi.
:cry:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I had high nitrites for like a week or so when starting the cycle of my planted 75g, so it can happen and lead to a lot of impatient anguished screaming.

I don't think plants can crash a cycle. Like at most, if you get plants that get melty in a new tank, it might contribute some ammonia with rotting leaves.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had high nitrites for like a week or so when starting the cycle of my planted 75g, so it can happen and lead to a lot of impatient anguished screaming.

I don't think plants can crash a cycle. Like at most, if you get plants that get melty in a new tank, it might contribute some ammonia with rotting leaves.
But thats a 75 gal. This is a 3.5 that's been having high nitrites for actually more than a week. Its REALLY making me worry if I did something wrong.:-(

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Have you done any water changes during this period? A high enough level of nitrite can kill a fish so you want to get it down to 0ppm as quickly as possible.

Based on what I've read on other forums, many hobbyists seem to get stuck on the 'nitrite' phase of the cycle. So it would seem like your experience isn't completely abnormal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you done any water changes during this period? A high enough level of nitrite can kill a fish so you want to get it down to 0ppm as quickly as possible.

Based on what I've read on other forums, many hobbyists seem to get stuck on the 'nitrite' phase of the cycle. So it would seem like your experience isn't completely abnormal.
I've been doing 25% to even more than 50% changes every day. I have school so its hard to keep up water changes throughout the day for example: 25% water change every 4 hours..

Makes me feel a little better that I'm not really the only one that has this main problem. Also, Maybe I should just go with 50% water changes for now on? Then again.. My fish stress out when I do 50% wc; even if I tied my gravel vacuum to make the fresh water drip back into the tank so he can easily get use to the water.:|

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I did the (almost) 100% water change and It look like it brought the Nitrites down just a smudge... :/ I also found out that the water I'm using for wc's has a veryyyyy small amount of Nitrite in it.. I.. Dont know if its just my test kit or its actually there but I'm kinda blegh about that small problem. .-.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts