Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Believe it or not 7.6 is not a very high pH. When you said high pH I thought you were dealing with a pH above 8.5. My betta tanks have a 7.8 pH, and I have never had problems. Betta are fine between pH 6.0 and 8.0

My only thought is that your KH is low and this causes your pH to drop rapidly after a water change. And his adverse reaction is to a rapidly changing pH. Do you know your local KH?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The IAL and oak leaves will only change the pH if the KH (buffering capacity) is low. For example: my betta tank pH is 7.8, but if I add driftwood or oak leaves the pH drops down to around 6. This is because my tap water has very low KH. If your KH is low, IAL will change the pH, but if the KH isn't low, then nothing will happen to your pH. If the IAL does lower your pH, then you have to worry about it changing every time you change the water. If your KH is too low, this could cause rapid changes in pH.

I know you're paranoid (trust me, I get the same way when one of my fish gets sick), but I really don't think it's much to worry about.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You could do a 95% water change. You basically empty the tank as far as you can without letting your little guy flop around on the bottom, then refill the tank. And then you repeat this. The total water volume comes out to about 95%. You won't get rid of all of the ammonia, but it will get rid of a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.