Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Okay so let me give you some back round info. Yesterday I took Poseidon out of the tank into a bowl. In the bowl I had him while I cleaned his tank. After I cleaned the tank I added the filter then I added a liquid called Prime. It helps to clean the water. Later on he jumped out of the bowl but luckily I was able to catch him. Fearing he would jump I put him back in his tank. As of right now, hes swimming eating doing all the same, but when I look at him, he puffs his gills at me. Is he flaring? or just showing aggression and wondering why I put him in the bowl. I realized now I need a MUCH bigger bowl when I clean the tank. Will he be okay?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
he probably is showing some aggression. Nothing to worry about. My boys hated when I used to take them out of the tank for water changes.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
No, he's fine, that is perfectly normal. He's basically slightly afraid of you right now because you picked him up. He'll get over it.
When they flare their gills like that, it's a sign of aggression, usually related to territory when another male, or even a female is present. However, they will do it to humans as well if they feel threatened. And my guess, given my own experience with a jumping fish, is he feels threatened by you because you picked him up.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Put a mirror in front of him and you will see him flare (puff) out his gills at his reflection because he thinks it's an intruding Betta. He is doing the same exact thing to you because he feels threatened and maybe feels like you're going to grab him again so he's flaring (puffing) out his gills to intimidate you to keep you from doing it again.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
He's making himself look big and impressive by splaying out his fins and gill plates and beard. He got mad because you took him out of his tank! He must really like his territory. XD

A quick crash course in betta anatomy is here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=232570

In future, just put some saran wrap over the bowl you want to keep him in during water changes. Poke some holes in the plastic wrap so he can breathe and he'll be fine.

It doesn't matter how big the temporary bowl is, you're not going to leave him there long. Some people even just clean out the cup they came in with hot water (don't use soap!) and use that to keep them in during water changes or tank cleaning. Just make sure you fill the temporary cup with old tank water--don't dump him into new or cold water!--and carefully acclimate him back to the tank after you change the tank water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.