Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My fish has had "bloody fins" for a while now and they are not getting better. In fact I think it is starting to turn into fin rot. His tail is slowing starting to fray. I started treating with TetraLifeguard-All-In-One treatment. :-? But I forgot to take the carbon out! His tank still has the film on the top and no matter how much I clean his tank it always comes back the next day. I am almost positive it is from the heater. Anyway, I will be moving him to a 10 gallon with a filter, heater, live plants, driftwood, ect. Should I treat him with the lifeguard stuff or should I wait and see if he perks up once I get his 10 gallon setup? :oops: I really don't want him to die!

I think he might have a tumour too! He has a small patch of white scales that kinda lift up like a bump. Is this serious? :cry:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing
1.8 gallon currently his tank is the Tetra Waterfall Globe Aquarium Kit
Heater: Yes, Marina Submersible Mini Aquarium Heater 10w
Filter: Yes but it is very strong! (So not used very much)

Water Changes
50% every other day
Have not tested the water.

Feeding
Once in the morning and a little at night
Bio gold pellet in the morning
BettaMin fish flakes at night.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The symptoms that you have described indicate that it could be a progressed case of fin rot. Do the edges of the fins happen to be black, or have a fuzzy white substance, or are they just bloody?

Symptoms
-Ripped tails, bloodshot, black edged, or has a fuzzy white appearance in the edge
-The Betta will become unusually inactive
-Won't eat
-Looks pale, and looses lots of color

Causes
This profilic disease is caused by stressful water conditions primarily but here are a few main examples of the conditions it is most likely found in

-Poor water quality with unacceptable amounts of ammonia, along with nitrites and nitrates
-Nippy tankmates
-Incompatible tankmates
-Tailbiting
-Plastic plants ripping fins constantly
-Over feeding
-Over crowding
-Sometimes after a disease, while the bettas immune system is low it can strike unexpectedly

Treatment

This disease is most commonly treated with mainly

-daily water changes of around 25-50 so more diseases dont settle in while the Betta is vulnerable
-a high quality fin rot treatment. Use tetracycline or Ampicillin for the best possible results

Prevention
-Keep the water clean
-don't over feed
-choose the right tankmates
-make sure that the bettas fins are always in the best shape
-keep the water heated
-change the water weekly

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No tank mates, only live plants, but when I did get him he did have ripped fins but as I kept the 50% water changes they healed up. I will up my water changes and maybe only feed him once a day. I am concerned about my heater though. :/ I really think it is releasing toxins into my tank!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts