Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so, I've now had Loki for just under a week, and when I did a water change yesterday, which took me nearly 2 hours, his fresh water turned out SUPER foggy and gross looking! What the hell happened?

I didn't clean off his toys/buildings, as advised, and missed the gravel up a bit to stir up any food I missed during daily excess clean ups, and I replaced over 50% of his old gross water... : ( I wanna fix this today, but I'm looking for advice first, before I just make the same mistake!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
When I do changes, I empty the tank completely and take everything out to wash under hot water, including the gravel. Things get pretty slimy after a week.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I do changes, I empty the tank completely and take everything out to wash under hot water, including the gravel. Things get pretty slimy after a week.
I used to do that, before I had a 5 gallon tank, but now it's just too hard! I can't carry the tank into the kitchen on my own (and I'm home alone today), so I was looking for a way to do water changes without having to lift that huge tank.

But, honestly, I'm starting to think that I've just gotta do the full on tank cleaning... WHY DOES SUCH A TINY FISH HAVE SUCH A HEAVY TANK?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
^^
Try having a 10 gallon. xD I have to lug 2 gallon buckets around. >.<

On the topic (lol), the water might get cloudy after water changes as the gravel is all stirred up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was thinking as much... I've gotta take some of the gravel out, anyway... Uuuuh!! Loki better appreciate this!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Are you using a gravel siphon or vaccume?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I just use a turkey baster twice a day to get as much of the left over food as I can

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
A gravel siphon would be better. They can be a pain to get going, but are a life-saver. They are about 10 dollars US I think.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Best tip in all of the fish-keeping hobby: you don't have to buy something that says aquarium on it to get the job done. basically you just need a hose to siphon. Yes the larger diameter end on the aquarium specific hose makes it easier to siphon waste, and a clear hose makes it much easier to charge the hose, but none of that is 100% necessary. A length of airline will also work.

The turkey baster can do the job, you just have to get into the gravel while suctioning.

You can also use an air line to siphon water into the tank, lessening the disturbance to any debris you missed while siphoning out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts