Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I too used to "age" water, in addition to using a dechlorinator, but several folks on this group said it wasn't necessary. There's also the problem of the water being much colder than what you could make on the fly.

The reason I did it was because I had read (and have read since) that (particularly) in the Winter here in the Mid-West that the colder water in the ground lines was prone to having more saturated gas. When that water is released into the warmer house environment then those saturated gases (nitrogen, I think?) is released; we see it as the small gas bubbles on the objects inside your fish bowl/tank.

Apparently those gasses can burn gills and cause damage.

I don't know which is worse, the sudden temperature change if you use room temperature water, or the gases.

I've stopped aging my water and just dechlorinate it before adding to the tank.

As for your question, I don't really see a problem with using *super* aged, dechlorinated water. But if it gets to be a very long while, I would probably use it on plants and get "fresh" for the fish.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That's so funny.

I had been "out" of fish for YEARS until one day, a few months after loosing my dog to cancer, I wanted a new friend and I suddenly had the thought "I'll get a betta!"

Yeah, that was about a month ago. I found one beautiful boy and set him up in a medium pet keeper. Well, soon after I decided he needed more room, so I put cycled a 5 gallon and he's now enjoying his new home.

I then found another boy that I couldn't stop thinking about so I had to go get him. I was worried about keeping him in the pet keeper, but I didn't have room for another 5 gallon. But I DID have room for a 3.5 gallon!

And, I'm now cycling ANOTHER 5 gallon tank. I have really been wanting one of those "kings" and after seeing several last weekend I knew I was helpless. I haven't gotten one yet. But the tank will be ready when I find him.

The reason I went with something bigger than the keeper I've already got is that I didn't want to be changing water in multiple containers every other day. I've worried about getting a betta and keeping them in "small" homes like the medium keeper and I thought: People get these beautiful fish every day and put them in teeny, tiny little bowls. They don't change the water or keep them heated and the poor fish usually die a cruel death. At least with me they have a couple of gallons of clean water to swim in, good food, warmth, and someone who actually cares.

I also am extremely grateful for the folks on this site (even if they *are* betta "enablers" who encouraged me to get the second one!!!).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.