Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gak
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?API Betta pellets & dehydrated blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily, in the morning

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? partial 2x a week, full once a month.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner for Bettas (API?)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have never done this.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No, except for color change
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today i noticed there was a hole in the middle of his tail fin.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Bettafix, today when I noticed the hole.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had a bulging eye, i didn't know about how often to change tank water.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him about 3 months ago. I'm not sure how old that would make him.

He has a floating log in his tank but I took it out, not sure if that was what tore the fin, or if he has fin rot.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Sometimes when a betta flares too hard they pop a hole in their tails. I'd not be overly concerned about it. I would also take out anything from your tank that you think he may have snagged his tail on. Keep an eye on the hole for black edges which is a sign of fin rot. You may also want to do a full water change every two weeks instead of once a month, just to make sure the toxins stay at a safe level.

there's a bit of controversy about bettafix if I remember correctly. Some say it affects the fish's ability to use their labyrinth organs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts