Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if a new topic was inappropriate, but I now have another tank to ask about as well with a new focus, so I made a new thread.
Both the topfin 10g starter tank and the Aqueon 2.5g MiniBow (for a QT/Hospital tank) I bought today have large openings around the filter/hood. These seem bad to have for bettas particularly, but am I being overcautious? They also seem super difficult shapes to modify with craft mesh. I know there's got to be space for cords, but this seems a little much. On that note, would the same occur buying a hood for an open-top tank? :???: Most tops I've seen have just been plexiglass covers or hoods like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the TopFin 5.5g starter kit and the opening hasn't been an issue. I would suggest putting the filter in the middle of the opening so it's not as big of a gap.

·
Registered
277 Posts
These are the exact tanks and filters that I have :) so here's my thoughts;

The 2.5 minibow; the hole here is really just a slot. I have a hard time imagining any betta slipping through it, and besides that, they'd have to make it up and over the inner rim to even get near it. So no worries there.

The top fin 10; I admit this one gave me pause when I set it up, but I found that the included heater filled the space perfectly! there will still be a little space, it but I feel safe that it's filled enough that Ruby couldn't get past it if he took a leap.

And lastly: I tried training my boy Ruby to jump for pellets, but discovered that, because of water refraction, he couldn't see where the pellet actually was, only where he THOUGHT it was. So they can't really aim that well when jumping xD

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moving the heater over to that side has helped me feel a little more comfortable. <3 Thank you for that feedback. It's nice to hear from someone with the same tank. @NiceCrocs do you still use the powerfilter or have you switched to a sponge? I'd like to in the future, which would make a craft mesh cover easier, but we'll see I guess.
Definitely still open to more feedback about these hoods. :smile:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm still using the power filter that came with it, and the only thing I've done was baffle it with a foam sponge to make the output weaker. Even that was probably more for my comfort than Ruby's lol.

·
Reference Team
7,707 Posts
.... because of water refraction, he couldn't see where the pellet actually was, only where he THOUGHT it was. So they can't really aim that well when jumping xD
Oh they can see perfectly well (binocular). And they learn to compensate. Their ancestors have been making a living at it for thousands of years.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have the 2.5 mini bows for my 3 and what I did was just use a double faced tape above the "feeding" hole and attach a thin piece of plastic slip sheets, that I used for putting under some pottery so it wouldnt move. It has open air squares in it. So I let the piece just drape over that hole and with that, I can just lift the piece to place the food in. I also do the same in the back of the hood: smaller widths toward the center as the outer edges I think are abit smaller and do not need attention. All these pieces are longer than the area I am covering, that way the weight of the fabric actually has ability to hang down.

I did this because one of my guys, Libby, is a notorious jumper; jumps over decorations, jumps up when he see's my fingers and with food. He is a crazy one.

this is what the plastic looks like. Might find these in areas they sell rugs, they have different thickness, this one is very flexible. Just a security measure for me, I feel better about it. If they do jump and hit the fabric, I dont think it will be powerful enough to flip out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@LittleMan that's ingenius, I love the slip stuff (also great for jars that are being mega stubborn)
Thanks for the input everybody! I am definitely leaning towards doing a mesh/slip top now. Little's story about a mega jumper is intimidating to leave it open. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts