Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently received my very first betta for my birthday.

I have a 10-gallon tank at home that I was more than happy to work with (get filter, heater, the whole shebang), but the lady at the pet store told my mother and I that the 10 gallon wasn't good enough and that he needed a smaller environment, so we bought a 1.5 gallon tank that came with an artificial plant, food, conditioner, ect.

After doing some research, I have discovered some people setting up 10 gallons for their single betas and also that the plastic plant could be harmful to my betta's fins. :-(

So, I'd like to know, were we lied to about the tank? and also, is it possible to use the 10 gallon for my betta? :-?

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't begin to imagine why someone would say a smaller tank is better. That's just crazy! Bigger is ALWAYS better when it comes to fish and tank size. If you haven't done anything with the 1.5 gallon that that bozo sold you take it back and throw it at her. :twisted: (okay, not really)

A 10 gallon tank is, imho, more than enough for a single betta, regardless of sex, age or specific species type. DO use it. :cool: (I like a 5.5 gallon minimum myself)

As for the plastic plants - not all plastic plants are designed equal. If it has sharp, pointy needles or edges on a more round leaf then it could be cause for concern. I believe many people use pantyhose (?) as a test to see if the edges are sharp enough to cause damage. Do a search here or wait as someone more knowledgeable may post up soon enough.

On a more serious note about the 1.5 gallon you were sold - if you haven't done anything with it i'd say return it for something more useful, or just a store credit. Or you could always exchange it for a bigger tank, like a 5.5 gallon ... and then throw in a few more bucks for another betta. ;-)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Use the 10 gallon! Your betta will thank you. It will be much easier maintenance and more room for the fish to swim. You could either return the little tank or save it as a hospital/quarantine tank.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Like others have said, a 10 gallon is a great (dare I even say optimal size) home for a betta! With only a few exceptions, bigger is always better when it comes to tank size. That garbage about bettas needing smaller tanks is just that - complete garbage; it was probably just a sales tactic to get you to buy something. I'd take that 1.5 gallon back as soon as possible. Honestly, even if you've already taken it out of the box or used it, just say you didn't like something about it (noisy filter, flickering light, whatever floats your boat) and they will take it back. Don't feel guilty about that either - those little deathtraps should never be sold in the first place. They completely took advantage of you, and worse yet, gave you advice that is dangerous to your new fish. Kudos to you for taking the time to research, think things through, and come to your own logical conclusions. Your betta will love you for it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ugh! I hate this sort of stuff happening at pet stores. It absolutely drives me nuts! And I feel for people like you who are well-intentioned and then idiots come along and convince you to buy an incorrect or inaccurate product.

I am on board with everyone here: a betta will be very, very happy in a 10 gallon tank! Upgrading a betta from a small tank to a large one is like night and day. It solves health issues, energy issues, fin-biting issues... Any number of things. People often say they see a noticable change in behavior when upgrading their bettas tank size -- myself included! My betta right now is in a 5G tank, but I'm preparing to divide a 20G tank as well.

And yes, the plastic plants can harm the fins of your betta. My last fish was VERY tactile and rubbed himself against EVERYTHING. Because of this, anything with even the slightest bit rough of an edge would tear his fins. You definitely want to aim for silk or live plants.

If I were you, I'd return the tank and maybe even complain to the manager!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thank you guys so much! I'm going to look into getting him a filter and heater right away so we can get him into a new home.... and have a talk with that pet store manager.

Does anyone have any recommendations about where to find the most effective, but inexpensive equipment (college kid, gotta save expenses somewhere)? Also, I have enough gravel for this tank... but it was home to some frogs that I had had for awhile... Should I just wash it really good or would it be a safer bet to just replace it entirely?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are you kidding me?! It's a myth that bettas "like" smaller environments! Bettas love to explore and are very curious creatures. They love to swim and with a large environment they would be very happy. The larger the better! Your Betta will love the 10 gallon tank all to himself! If I were you I would take the 1.5 gallon tank back and exchange it for some betta-safe decorations and caves. Some plastic plants are okay for bettas and some are not. You can tell if a plant is safe for a betta by taking a panty hose and running it over the plant. If it snags anywhere on the plant then it would not be a good idea to use it for your betta. That's how fragile their fins are. You can also buy silk plants. Most silk plants are good for bettas because they are like fabric and don't have any sharp edges that can cut the bettas fins. But I praise you for taking the time to research before doing anything else!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have found some new aquarium equipment cheap on eBay before. You might want to try looking there. And a good washing with some hot water should do the trick for the gravel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found some new aquarium equipment cheap on eBay before. You might want to try looking there. And a good washing with some hot water should do the trick for the gravel.
Awesome! Gonna get on that right now! The sooner the better, right? :-D
Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm from the UK where Bettas are kept in individual 2.5 gallon, heated and filtered tanks at every LFS. It's horrifying to hear about them being sold in cups - not something that would be allowed here.

I put my Betta into a 5 gallon tank to start with, but being a newbie added some peaceful community fish. They got along well, but I soon realized the tank was technically overstocked.

Moved him into a Fluval Spec 2.6 gallon and his aggression increased a lot. Now he's back in his own Fluval Spec 5 gallon it is clear that the size is a destressor. Happy, active, flares less and so on. After my experience I'd say 5 gallons is a minimum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alright, thank you guys so much! I'm going to look into getting him a filter and heater right away so we can get him into a new home.... and have a talk with that pet store manager.

Does anyone have any recommendations about where to find the most effective, but inexpensive equipment (college kid, gotta save expenses somewhere)? Also, I have enough gravel for this tank... but it was home to some frogs that I had had for awhile... Should I just wash it really good or would it be a safer bet to just replace it entirely?
Walmart sell cheap supplies in the fish section. Check online for sales as well, and try to buy the filters that are for the 10 gallon tank (don't buy a 20 gal). Heaters are also sold at walmart. Get a 50 watt one for a 10 gal tank. Also, do a search on Kijiji or ebay for cheap aquarium supplies. Thats where I get a lot of my stuff!

For the gravel- Dont use soap. Just hot water (boil it if you can). Soap can contaminate the gravel with chemicals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walmart sell cheap supplies in the fish section. Check online for sales as well, and try to buy the filters that are for the 10 gallon tank (don't buy a 20 gal). Heaters are also sold at walmart. Get a 50 watt one for a 10 gal tank. Also, do a search on Kijiji or ebay for cheap aquarium supplies. Thats where I get a lot of my stuff!

For the gravel- Dont use soap. Just hot water (boil it if you can). Soap can contaminate the gravel with chemicals.
Thanks! The gravel was boiled MULTIPLE times and I did pick up a 50watt heater and a thermometer for the tank. He does still need a filter though...

·
Registered
268 Posts
*UPDATE*

Thanks guys for all your help! Darth Bubbles is enjoying his new home and he's already A LOT more active! :thankyou:
Ha! Darth Bubbles, I love it. Glad to see this story have a happy ending--and a big beautiful tank for your boy! :) Now he just needs an under water death star.
Edit: So I couldn't help but wonder if there was such a thing as an aquarium death star... I wonder if this would work? Not that it really matters, I was just totally tickled by the idea, haha.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha! Darth Bubbles, I love it. Glad to see this story have a happy ending--and a big beautiful tank for your boy! :) Now he just needs an under water death star.
Edit: So I couldn't help but wonder if there was such a thing as an aquarium death star... I wonder if this would work? Not that it really matters, I was just totally tickled by the idea, haha.
You know, it would be absolutely amazing idea to give him a Star Wars theme at some point. That Death Star looks perfect! Might be a bit big though

·
Registered
255 Posts
Never 1.5 !!! At least 2.5 G.... I have a 16 Gallon for my male betta and He LOVES it! My female has a 10 Gallon tank and I have a 8 Gallon for when the get sick and/or for breeding.... Back to the point ...... They Lied , No Plastic plant at all , try getting 2-8 live plants and a nice spot for it to hide, a soft pump/filter/air pump , 25-240v heater and some food

·
Registered
255 Posts
They lied

Never 1.5 !!! At least 2.5 G.... I have a 16 Gallon for my male betta and He LOVES it! My female has a 10 Gallon tank and I have a 8 Gallon for when the get sick and/or for breeding.... Back to the point ...... They Lied , No Plastic plant at all , try getting 2-8 live plants and a nice spot for it to hide, a soft pump/filter/air pump , 25-240v heater and some food

1 - 20 of 25 Posts