Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to separate out my one male from the divided tank. So I took the divider out and pearl is a happy clam. But jaws tank is far too small and i can't buy him a new one. I was wondering if there is a type of container like Tupperware that would work and be bigger?
He doesn't have much but he def has a heater but I'm stuck on what to put him in

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
If you were to visit my fish room you'd see a lot of plastic tubs.

Tubs are great for keeping bettas. They're not as clear as glass but they do the job just as well and are even better for keeping the temperature constant.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A lot of people use tupperwares and containers as tanks! Another solution is Kritter Keepers, they're cheap and inexpensive and can make a great home for a Betta.

For "tupperwares", people use the Sterlite brand, they make great homes. :) Kritter Keepers aren't a bad option either, consider them too.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I use tub tupperware containers and plastic tubs as houses for bettas too in my fish room aswell, I use these mainly because of the availability, price, sturdiness, easy to heat, usually longer, and the ability to "stack" ontop of eachother. They might not be as clear as regular tanks, but they are still very efficient,

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
What do you mean by showing them off? The clearness of the containers? I usually get mainly clear plastic tubs and not ones that give an adverse apperance of the fish some can still appreciate its beauty

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Full size tanks? I don't understand you statement clearly at all, what would your definition of full size be? There's nothing wrong with using a plastic tub. It's my experience, and many other people have found this out aswell, having a plastic tub as a permanent home is completely fine

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I am still wondering what you mean by full size tanks? I'm sorry if I'm coming off a bit rude and offensive but I don't understand what you mean in your post very clearly, sorry.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Plastic tubs are cheaper in general, the point you're stating is just purely based on aesthetics, yeah plastic tubs may not be as "pretty" as a glass tank, but plastic tubs most often provide better homes than certain tanks, due to Bettas having more swimming room and shallow water, it almost mimics their natural habitat, shallow but wide.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uhm. I have two fish...

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Not sure what a "full size" tank is. Glass doesn't hold heat well and if you drop it you're screwed. Plastic tubs can be just as clear as a glass tank (or else I would not be able to moniter my fry). They may not be as decorative but they do the job even better than glass does.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I like tanks but I have a community tank. I see the point of plastic tupperware but personally I'd only use it as temp homes for fish in quarentine or if I bred them. I like my fish not just for companionship but something to watch so I like pretty lighting and decor. The pic Micho put up would be great though! Especially with the swimming space. How much is the water capacity on that btw? They sell those in my £1 shop.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
They hold 3.5 gallons of water apparently the owner of the tanks stated himself. :) He has bigger ones that hold 4.5 gallons. I really like the idea of these tanks because how much swimming room they give, much better than the regular tanks you can find out in the market that hold the same amount of water. Also heating is a non-issue for these tubs, they won't melt I believe, so just stick a heater in there, and for a 3.5 a filter is not needed but if you really wanted one, I guess those mini-internal filters could work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts