Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's safe to have a hood light on my betta's aquarium? I know some fish don't like it and I don't want it to be too direct or bright or hot for him. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have a flourescent light strip above mine(on the wall)...mostly for my plant, however its on maybe 3-4 hrs, just make sure there's still dark spots like under plants or a tunnel, so if he wants to rest or whatever he can get out of the light, id say a hood would be fine, the only thing was I noticed on my goldfish tank it would get s little hot if on for a while, witch can change the temp, make sure to never have it in at night!(like bed time)!:) goodluck!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
My bettas seem to love the hood light on their aquarium. It makes the surface water a little warmer than the bottom water, and they bask in it. When they get hot, they swim back down. It's cute, and they didn't hang out at the top as much before the light.

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
A lot would depend on if your aquarium has live plants and how much light it gets. I would treat them like any tropical animal with a day/night cycle, they have a period when they get light simulating being outside (or in the shade at least) and a period of darkness.

Also, when you first wake them up with the light, it's preferable if you do it slowly, don't just turn on bright lights immediately if the room is dark, it spooks some fish. If you can have the room transition from dark to light (simply by opening the curtains as the sun is coming up) then flipping on their lights a short while after, it's makes it much more soothing and natural for them. Whenever I consider something for an animal, I ask myself "How would this compare to them being out in nature".

And if you have the option on your hood, I would go with florescent lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts