Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had community fish tanks for years from a 10 gallon to a 55 gallon. I moved and it's been about six years since I have owned a tank. I am incredibly open to any and all advice. I have a 29 gallon that I am currently cycling. It's going to be mostly planted with some type of natural log. I do have a space ship in the bottom because I am a nerd. LOL Anyway, I want to wait for the plants to grow (and of course a nice established bacterium) because I get any animals. I need help picking tankmates. I have my heart set on a giant betta. I love Kuhli loaches and neon tetras. I don't want a high bio-load. What are you opinions/advice with giant bettas... AND do you have a good seller for a reputable giant betta?

Registered
Bettas..a mix of em
Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice tank set up and very cool spaceship too. I dont know too much about Giant bettas but if you are looking to purchase giant bettas i know of a site scgiantbettahouse.com. i met the guy who sells them ( Satya) by chance. He sold me some vinegar eels and gave me extra and was very helpful and informative when i weny to go pick them up. Anyways yeah check out his site its all about giant bettas. He lives in California- west covina area so shipping may not be much if you are in the 馃嚭馃嚫. Well see ya around and look forward to seeing your tank fill up...with fish

Registered
I had community fish tanks for years from a 10 gallon to a 55 gallon. I moved and it's been about six years since I have owned a tank. I am incredibly open to any and all advice. I have a 29 gallon that I am currently cycling. It's going to be mostly planted with some type of natural log. I do have a space ship in the bottom because I am a nerd. LOL Anyway, I want to wait for the plants to grow (and of course a nice established bacterium) because I get any animals. I need help picking tankmates. I have my heart set on a giant betta. I love Kuhli loaches and neon tetras. I don't want a high bio-load. What are you opinions/advice with giant bettas... AND do you have a good seller for a reputable giant betta? View attachment 1029805
Really Love the background and setup, I would recommend investing in a lot of nice tall plants and some good foreground plants and maybe throw the spaceship as a center. That, with 3 giant female bettas would look amazing! I wish you luck.

Registered
Female sororities should be of five or more. Otherwise, two will gang up on one. Those I know with years' long success say 75% planting is essential.
Understandable, good to know for the future. I am loving my betta already and I want to do a 39 planted with a Sorority

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really Love the background and setup, I would recommend investing in a lot of nice tall plants and some good foreground plants and maybe throw the spaceship as a center. That, with 3 giant female bettas would look amazing! I wish you luck.
I have a plant bulbs and seeds planted, they just haven't grown yet. I definitely want variety which is why I was thinking one giant betta with a few other species. Once the plants grow up, the space ship will look like it's peaking through plants. Any idea on a good breeder in the US?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Female sororities should be of five or more. Otherwise, two will gang up on one. Those I know with years' long success say 75% planting is essential.
Exactly! But I'm not interested in sororities... I'm not a fan of the females. 馃槵 I just want one giant male, preferably halfmoon. Any idea on a reputable breeder?

Registered
I have a plant bulbs and seeds planted, they just haven't grown yet. I definitely want variety which is why I was thinking one giant betta with a few other species. Once the plants grow up, the space ship will look like it's peaking through plants. Any idea on a good breeder in the US?
I am just getting into the Betta side of fish keeping myself, I am original a goldfish/reef tank owner so I am just learning about bettas as we speak. That being said I am unaware of any breeders at this time.

Super Moderator
To my knowledge giants have come a long way since their first appearance. They now look like normal bettas (they had hump backs) and have better immune systems. Though I seldom see "hole in head", but I see more tumors, especially those carrying or related to dragon scaling. IMO this is more genetic than water related. So there is not much you can do. Regardless, it's always wise to be safe.

In general, giants have lower immune systems. Even worse if raised in prestine water. So you will need to keep equally good water quality.

You are doing the right thing - keeping your tank fishless until plants have grown and water has cycled. Hopefully any parasites will die out without a host for such a priod of time.

I suggest you not feed your giants (bought giants) live food because they may carry parasites. Manmade or frozen foods should be safer. Feed until their bellies are a bit plump (not too fat). And clean out all left over food. More frequent small feedings are better than one big meal . . . Perhaps keeping "cleaners" would be good - but make sure it/they are parasite free.

Older bettas tend to be less active - giants are worst. IME, inactive bettas are more prone to diseases. It would be best to keep your giant active. You can use a mirror to exercise him (make him flare). About 5 - 15 minutes after feedings or at least once daily.

Sorry, can't recommend any giant breeder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To my knowledge giants have come a long way since their first appearance. They now look like normal bettas (they had hump backs) and have better immune systems. Though I seldom see "hole in head", but I see more tumors, especially those carrying or related to dragon scaling. IMO this is more genetic than water related. So there is not much you can do. Regardless, it's always wise to be safe.

In general, giants have lower immune systems. Even worse if raised in prestine water. So you will need to keep equally good water quality.

You are doing the right thing - keeping your tank fishless until plants have grown and water has cycled. Hopefully any parasites will die out without a host for such a priod of time.

I suggest you not feed your giants (bought giants) live food because they may carry parasites. Manmade or frozen foods should be safer. Feed until their bellies are a bit plump (not too fat). And clean out all left over food. More frequent small feedings are better than one big meal . . . Perhaps keeping "cleaners" would be good - but make sure it/they are parasite free.

Older bettas tend to be less active - giants are worst. IME, inactive bettas are more prone to diseases. It would be best to keep your giant active. You can use a mirror to exercise him (make him flare). About 5 - 15 minutes after feedings or at least once daily.

Sorry, can't recommend any giant breeder.
Awesome! Thank you!! I do have two snails in the tank, is that an issue? Should I treat the tank prior to or when I get the giant?

Super Moderator
I don't think so. Just slowly acclimate to tank water to avoid any possible shock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts