Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to say I don't like Bettas anymore of course, but I have 3 tanks dedicated to them and I'm looking to branch out :p

So yea, I have a 40g Breeder. Totally empty. Sitting there. Calling meeeeeeee.

But I have no idea what to put in it D:
I have an appropriate heater so I can go tropical or cold water. I would like to stay away from goldfish though, had 3 fancys for awhile, didnt end well :/

I wouldnt mind having just one massive mean fish in there, like a Jack Dempsey or a gar. Alternatively, I wouldnt mind throwing my cherry shrimp colony and have SHRIMP GALORE.

The only thing I ask for is something different. So no thank you to neon tetras or cories ;) I want something not commonly seen or something that can get really big and have the tank to him/herself.

So any help/ideas would be appreciated :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
saddly jack dempsey and oscars need HUGE tanks, or i'd have one in my 30g right now, lol - i'm going to be starting up a 30g community tank with honey gourami, peppermint tetra, another variety of tetra, peppered corries, and khuli loaches

i had a hard time finding fish that would fit in my tank that i wanted (i wanted something besides tetra also, lol) i'm really excited to get the honey gourami. Another fish i was looking into was 'Bolivian Ram' - maybe look into those, keep us updated i'd love to see your tank when it's finished!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Actually, you could have single Jack Dempsey in there. If its over filtered and it's the only inhabitant, then yes, only because of the footprint of a 40 Breeder. I consider myself a little bit of an expert on odd species, what are you looking for? And water conditions and decorations and plans and stuff would help, too.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Most of the gar that I know also get rather large. A 40B wouldn't be large enough. An interesting idea you could try is a native species tank. I know in the US there are many beautiful natives that are greatly overlooked.

Two tropicals that I think are neat and unique are the Tequila splitfin and blind cave tetra (they have no eyes!!). The splitfin is a unique type of livebearer. I've never seen it in stores or even common online stores like LiveAquaria.com. I've only seen them sold on Aquabid.

I'm not sure about the tank size, but you could get an axolotl. I think they can fit in a 40B.

You could also try a puffer tank. They're challenging but interesting.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would agree with the puffers, they would be a Great choice for the tank, and also have you thought about a group of boesami rainbow fish. And if I may ask, how are you going to cycle the tank, or what about some Celebes halfbeaks, or a small breeding colony of mosquito fish

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
saddly jack dempsey and oscars need HUGE tanks, or i'd have one in my 30g right now, lol - i'm going to be starting up a 30g community tank with honey gourami, peppermint tetra, another variety of tetra, peppered corries, and khuli loaches

i had a hard time finding fish that would fit in my tank that i wanted (i wanted something besides tetra also, lol) i'm really excited to get the honey gourami. Another fish i was looking into was 'Bolivian Ram' - maybe look into those, keep us updated i'd love to see your tank when it's finished!
Ive looked into Jacks specifically, they can stay in 40gall breeders for life since they only grow to about 8 inches ^^ Oscars though need like, 75 each then 20 gallons for each one after. Id love to get one but thats crazy big x.x

Your stocking sounds good! I'll never have khulis again though, waaaay to fast for me to bother with XD

Try looking into convict cichlids or Malawi peacocks. Both beautiful fish and they would fit in a 40g breeder.
Ive looked at convicts but the breed like crazy! They also get really mean when breeding so theyre something Id like to stay away from. The peacocks are super pretty though ^^

Actually, you could have single Jack Dempsey in there. If its over filtered and it's the only inhabitant, then yes, only because of the footprint of a 40 Breeder. I consider myself a little bit of an expert on odd species, what are you looking for? And water conditions and decorations and plans and stuff would help, too.
The jack would be the only one. Id over filter too, I know theyre pretty dirty XD

Honestly, Id love one to three giant fish. Probably a middle swimmer whose not too shy since it would be the only thing in there c: Course it wouldnt even have to be a fish, I've been looking over eels and bichirs and stuff but not too seriously.

My water is pretty hard over here and decor isnt really an issue, Id decorate to suit the inhabitant.

Most of the gar that I know also get rather large. A 40B wouldn't be large enough. An interesting idea you could try is a native species tank. I know in the US there are many beautiful natives that are greatly overlooked.

Two tropicals that I think are neat and unique are the Tequila splitfin and blind cave tetra (they have no eyes!!). The splitfin is a unique type of livebearer. I've never seen it in stores or even common online stores like LiveAquaria.com. I've only seen them sold on Aquabid.

I'm not sure about the tank size, but you could get an axolotl. I think they can fit in a 40B.

You could also try a puffer tank. They're challenging but interesting.
The gar they had at the petstore here said he would fit, though I cant remember which kind he was. The person who told me though is someone who knows what theyre talking about, Ive consulted them on many of my fish questions ^^

The splitfin is pretty, but I think I want to stay away from more livebearers. I have a guppy tank and thats just enough for me ^^ The cave tetras are actually sold at the petstore with the gar as well so Ive seen them before, theyre a bit too creepy for me :p

Axolotls are illegal in California, bane of my existence. Theyre my favorite animal EVER.

What kind of Puffers would be good? Dont i need snails for them to feed on? o3o
Ive always thought they were neat.

I would agree with the puffers, they would be a Great choice for the tank, and also have you thought about a group of boesami rainbow fish. And if I may ask, how are you going to cycle the tank, or what about some Celebes halfbeaks, or a small breeding colony of mosquito fish
My tank would be cycled using media from my other tank, Ive had an extra filter just for this tank going in one of my other tanks for quite awhile now ^^

The rainbows I'm not too fond of, the ones they have at my petstore I dont find very attractive D:

Oh lawd, the mouths on those Celebes halfbeaks XD
I have no idea where I would buy those so I think I'll pass as well.

mosquito fish Look a bit too much like bettas to me so I'll veto them as well ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
i can't think of a single Gar species that would fit in a 40B.Maybe a BROWN Ghost knife could work in a tank that size. Then you could have tankmates with it. Red devil is another cichlid that would probably work in a 40B. You could also do a firemouth focused tank (they tend to be shy though). You Might be able to get away with SAP tank with a 40B (ask invertplanet i know nothing about puffers). Theres also African Leaf fish. It would get 6 inches so you could probably have tank mates (assuming they dont fit in its mouth). Green terror could also work. Theres a lot of options if you want to go with 6-8 inch fish. Just gotta hunt them down. (Any decent sized cichlid will need a lot of filtration and maintence needs to be regular to avoid problems) A breeding pair of jewel cichlids would be beautiful too, but they are down right mean so you couldn't keep anything else with them and they would need lots of hides to get away from each other.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What about some anglefish

·
Registered
82 Posts
I dont think a 40 B has the depth needed for a full grown 10 inch tall angelfish. They should be kept in a minimum of 18 inches of water tall. Not tank... But from substrate to the top of the water. Also it would be to small for a group so you would have to get a breeding pair. But then you could put dither fish in if you wanted.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Oops, I forgot that a 40b is long,

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
-snip-
The gar they had at the petstore here said he would fit, though I cant remember which kind he was. The person who told me though is someone who knows what theyre talking about, Ive consulted them on many of my fish questions ^^

The splitfin is pretty, but I think I want to stay away from more livebearers. I have a guppy tank and thats just enough for me ^^ The cave tetras are actually sold at the petstore with the gar as well so Ive seen them before, theyre a bit too creepy for me :p

Axolotls are illegal in California, bane of my existence. Theyre my favorite animal EVER.

What kind of Puffers would be good? Dont i need snails for them to feed on? o3o
Ive always thought they were neat.

-snip-
Call me a cynic, but I don't always trust people who are trying to make a big sale. The smallest gar I was able to find grows to about 15 inches, the shortnose gar. The second smallest being the spotted gar at 20-30 inches. That still seems a bit big for a 40B. This and this have some husbandry info I found on gar from NANFA (North America Native Fishes Association). They really seem to suggest a larger tank for them.

I'm sorry about the axolotls. But you understand why California did that, right? There are other salamanders you could keep, tho. I also love salamanders and axolotls ^-^ and have done some research into keeping them.

Dwarf puffers were what I had in mind. I think you should be able to keep 4-5 in a 40B. I know they do need snails in their diets, but beyond that I don't know much. I just know they are something out of the ordinary. Here is one website completely devoted to them. And this is what the parent site of bettafish.com has to say about them. One thing I can say about them is how cute they are.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Dwarf puffers were what I had in mind. I think you should be able to keep 4-5 in a 40B. I know they do need snails in their diets, but beyond that I don't know much. I just know they are something out of the ordinary. Here is one website completely devoted to them. And this is what the parent site of bettafish.com has to say about them. One thing I can say about them is how cute they are.
Try 8. then you could do a big group of ottos. maybe more considering the size of the tank but the rule of thumb is 1 per 5 gallons. Also a 1-2/1-3 M-F ratio is suggested. Also they typically dont do well with anything but ottos/maybe shrimp for tank mates.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can't think of a single Gar species that would fit in a 40B.Maybe a BROWN Ghost knife could work in a tank that size. Then you could have tankmates with it. Red devil is another cichlid that would probably work in a 40B. You could also do a firemouth focused tank (they tend to be shy though). You Might be able to get away with SAP tank with a 40B (ask invertplanet i know nothing about puffers). Theres also African Leaf fish. It would get 6 inches so you could probably have tank mates (assuming they dont fit in its mouth). Green terror could also work. Theres a lot of options if you want to go with 6-8 inch fish. Just gotta hunt them down. (Any decent sized cichlid will need a lot of filtration and maintence needs to be regular to avoid problems) A breeding pair of jewel cichlids would be beautiful too, but they are down right mean so you couldn't keep anything else with them and they would need lots of hides to get away from each other.

Most of those Ive looked into have been rejected for a various reasons. Havent looked into brown knifes though, theyre pretty cool o.o My friend adores the black ones but those get way too big XD

My tank isnt deep enough, I have one in my other tank as well and he's just enough for me ^^

Call me a cynic, but I don't always trust people who are trying to make a big sale. The smallest gar I was able to find grows to about 15 inches, the shortnose gar. The second smallest being the spotted gar at 20-30 inches. That still seems a bit big for a 40B. This and this have some husbandry info I found on gar from NANFA (North America Native Fishes Association). They really seem to suggest a larger tank for them.

I'm sorry about the axolotls. But you understand why California did that, right? There are other salamanders you could keep, tho. I also love salamanders and axolotls ^-^ and have done some research into keeping them.

no worries, Im a total cynic too. I trust this guy though, his info has been sound and he's discouraged me from buying things as well.
Gars dont tend to move much, the just sit at the top of the tank so that probably why he said it was good. I dont plan on getting one now though since I want something more active for my tank regardless c:

I do know why, Ive dont crap tons of research on them. All salamanders are illegal in California though, at least to keep in captivity ;w;

Ill have to look at the sites ^^
Really the only place that sells them is walmart of all places and I frankly dont trust ANY living thing they sell.

Try 8. then you could do a big group of ottos. maybe more considering the size of the tank but the rule of thumb is 1 per 5 gallons. Also a 1-2/1-3 M-F ratio is suggested. Also they typically dont do well with anything but ottos/maybe shrimp for tank mates.
Chances are Ill be doing a species tank so tank mates wouldnt be a worry. Except for the snails of course, if i do decide to go with the puffers ^^

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If you have any lakes near by you could catch a couple bluegills and put them in there. That is only if you fish.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have any lakes near by you could catch a couple bluegills and put them in there. That is only if you fish.

Neat looking fish but I dont really fish ^^
I dont think I'd want something I caught anyways

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I like Bosemani rainbows, stunning looking fish. I think a pair of rainbows and some Pakastani loaches would be great. Alternatively, if you don't mind going subtropical, doing a biotype of hillstream loaches would be pretty nifty.

Hatchetfish are a bit unusual, though not as big as you are looking for. Halfbeaks are cool. Alternatively, you could try your hand at killifish - there are hundreds of species and some of them are AMAZING to look at. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All lovely suggestions, though I tend to see most of those a lot c:
Except for the puffers anyways X)

Right now I'm researching self cloning crayfish and some eels ^^

1 - 20 of 52 Posts