Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my plants in the tank for about a week and they are not doing very well.

The bottom leaves are starting to die off they are looking a little raggedy as I rinse off the dead leaves.

I read that this might happen to new plants so I am hoping they recover.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

I don't have an air system in my tank, but I do have a filter baffled to eliminate the current.

I have one LED tank light but I am pretty sure it is not the light as the plants directly under the light are just as bad as the ones that are at the far end of the tank. It is a 2.5 gal. square tank.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Hornwort is known to drop its needles when not happy-its a floating plant and shouldn't be rooted-I know mine like to have a lot of light to grow best.

If the other plants are not doing well....its most likely your light...LED lights sometimes are not the correct color temp to support plant growth/photosynthesis.....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the only plant in the tank. Is there a rootet plant that will do better in a small tank?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wonder if your water parameters could have something to do with it?
I have hornwort, and it is so hardy I don't know what to do with it... It grows like crazy. I started about two months ago with three strands - now I have four aquariums full of it, and it keeps growing and growing.

I stick the bottom tips of mine in ceramic filter rings so that it sinks, and just basically leave it. It does grow faster in my well lit tank, but it still grows steadily in my unlit tanks that only get ambient light...

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I have one LED tank light but I am pretty sure it is not the light as the plants directly under the light are just as bad as the ones that are at the far end of the tank. It is a 2.5 gal. square tank.
I guess this is what confused me and thinking you had more than just one plant in the tank...anyway....without the proper lights it will be hard to grow most plants, however, the lower light plants like anubias, java fern, java moss and some crypts...sometimes will do okay even with the wrong kelvin lights.

The correct color temp lights are the driving force behind photosynthesis with most aquatic plants for them to thrive long term....

Hornwort can be picky sometimes with water prams as Tamyu posted-but when happy they can grow 3-4 inches a day and take on reddish coloration-I have some that I keep outside in the summer that only gets dappled sunlight for a few hours a day and it grows like crazy-Too high of watts light can sometimes cause hair algae to grow on it-but I found that if I loop mine around something in the tank to get it further away from the light-it helps some.....

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if your water parameters could have something to do with it?
I have hornwort, and it is so hardy I don't know what to do with it... It grows like crazy. I started about two months ago with three strands - now I have four aquariums full of it, and it keeps growing and growing.

I stick the bottom tips of mine in ceramic filter rings so that it sinks, and just basically leave it. It does grow faster in my well lit tank, but it still grows steadily in my unlit tanks that only get ambient light...
Well, I don't think it is the light because I have some in a cup outside and it is dying too. Maybe I got a bad plant. Can I buy some from you? I only need three small twigs. :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have an amazon sword in a smaller tank and it is thriving. I had to cut it back some so it didn't overtake the tank. I think you can buy ones that grow only 2-4 inches...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hornwort is very finicky plant. It doesn't like to be moved! Leave it alone and clean up after it. The "top" of the plant will eventually get happy and start to grow. Every time I move my hornwort from plant tank to fry tank it drops it leaves. it should recover just give it time.

Lori

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, I don't think it is the light because I have some in a cup outside and it is dying too. Maybe I got a bad plant. Can I buy some from you? I only need three small twigs. :)
It is possible that the plant wasn't healthy to begin with. I also wish I knew why mine grows like crazy so I could tell you what to do. :) I think there are a couple varieties of hornwort, and some do better than others in some environments. I know one thing I do that you may not is add vitamin and mineral additives to the water after conditioning it. Maybe the plants are making use of them also. I don't use any fertilizers though.

I would be happy to send you some for free even, but I don't think it is possible. I live in Japan. :lol:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Hornwort will grow very fast under great conditions, but it will languish in poor ones. Lights could be a problem or nutrients as Tamyu mentioned. Another thing is that hornwort doesn't like soft water (I found this out the hard way). I would try to correct the light problem first (or get another plant like anubias) before you start adding fertilizers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts