Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to ambient room lighting/indirect daylight for how many hours each day must I leave the LEDs on in my nano tanks for java fern, anubias, and marimos to be satisfied? Right now I turn the lights on for an hour in the morning, then off while I am at work, and then on again from 5-10pm or so. Do I need to make an effort to leave the lights on longer, or is this okay? I don't need the plants to grow like crazy, just not die/rot.

PS- I have only the stock LED lighting on my Marina 360, Marineland Contour, and Fluval View. The Marina is the dimmest with 7 LEDS. The others have 10-12.

·
Registered
401 Posts
recommended lighting time for a planted tank is 10-12 hour cycle any more or less and the plants don't do well. I have my lighting in my 10 gallon tetra nano tank with 2 bars of 3 LED lights and I also have a regular desk lamp on one side and a clip on desk lamp on the shelf next to the tank for extra light thinking the 6 LED lights only give low light. I have these lights on a 24 hour timer from walmart set for 12 hour cycle 7 am to 7 pm. ( I work 2nd shift so it really helps to have the timer).

·
Registered
674 Posts
I run my lights for about 8 hours. Some people run it for 10 even 12, it depends on the algae. I did 12 on and 12 off before, I got an algae bloom. So I run my lights at 1pm to 9am (8 hours) my plants do great and there's less algae. You can all ways buy a timer, and never mess with your lights again. Planted tanks are all about finding out the right balance for your tank.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so people are recommending approximately 8 hours. Is this amount required for even low light plants? I don't want to fry my moss balls, java fern, and anubias. I believe they are low light plants.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, 8 hours is the NORM, but really your photoperiod should always be "tuned." I found that my 20 tall can take upto 12 hours of light due to lower intensity, while my other tanks are capped at 9 hours per day due to algae.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, 8 hours is the NORM, but really your photoperiod should always be "tuned." I found that my 20 tall can take upto 12 hours of light due to lower intensity, while my other tanks are capped at 9 hours per day due to algae.
Okay well I guess I will start with keeping the lights on for 8 hours and see how that goes.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Low light plants generally require lower levels of light, not a shorter photoperiod. However, most low light plants do just fine in high light, just not the other way around.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Low light plants generally require lower levels of light, not a shorter photoperiod. However, most low light plants do just fine in high light, just not the other way around.
Thanks! I guess I figured hours of light and intensity of light could be interchanged. Now I know this is not the case :-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.