Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg8qyg_betta-fish-are-betta-fish-easy-to-take-care-of_lifestyle

This is kind of a rant, but I just watched this video (the whole series by this guy is just filled with nonsense but this video is THE worst one) and I just don't understand how a person who loves fish, who knows how to keep and maintain various complex communities give this advice to people and spout these lies about bettas KNOWING that these people don't know any better and will take their "expert" word as gospel? I mean this guy must know that betta fish are tropical and yet he says they don't need a heater or filter or anything at all to live and that they can live in very tiny bowls and be just fine. I just makes me so mad. For someone ill informed to say these things is one thing, but how can you call yourself a fish lover or expert if you blatantly use your position as someone knowledgeable to spout easily believed lies that lead to fish abuse and ill informed people just to sell fish and tiny overpriced fish coffins...sorry..."bowls". I know this must have been said on here a thousand times before I just don't understand.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It ticks me off he has so many videos spreading false information. Well, if he's had so much success with this species like he says he does, it really surprises me he thinks they only live for a few months up to two years.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
I never understand people who want a zero maintenance pet. Go out and buy yourself a pet rock if 'zero' is the amount of time, money and effort you are going to put in.

My favourite quote from the video was: "They don't need really anything."

How sad that bettas continue to be one of the most poorly understood and poorly treated fish in the hobby.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Yeah sure they will live in those conditions, for about a week!... if that.
God these people make me sick. =(

·
Registered
218 Posts
I feel so bad knowing people are going to see this and think, "well he's a professional so he must know what he's talking about." It's so hard for a new comer to get the right information with all the lies being spread as truth. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
They don't "need" anything to survive. Neither do humans. Humans can survive the most amazing deprivations, but just because one can SURVIVE that, doesn't mean one is living. If a tropical fish can survive with nasty, cold water, take a "tropical" person and throw them into downtown buffalo in the middle of winter with no coat and say "have fun"

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's so awful! It made me really want to punch that guy! A few months to 2 years? My aunts betta lived to just over 6 years! Bettas are so abused pets it makes me sad that people arn't properly educated on betta care :-(

·
Registered
296 Posts
Lol got so annoyed I signed up and made a comment, hopefully now they will think twice

·
Registered
563 Posts
I never understand people who want a zero maintenance pet. Go out and buy yourself a pet rock if 'zero' is the amount of time, money and effort you are going to put in.

My favourite quote from the video was: "They don't need really anything."

How sad that bettas continue to be one of the most poorly understood and poorly treated fish in the hobby.
PREACH!!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
I just made a post about this subject they may be easy to take care of but they do require a heater and work and a nice sizable tank

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ugh! I get so annoyed with people saying Bettas are easy and disposeable pets!! When my cousin saw Bubbles the first thing she said was: "when she dies can I go with you to get a new one?" That made me so mad.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The only thing that they got right in this video is the fact that bettas are probably the easiest fish in the hobby to take care of. That doesn't mean that they are easy pets though. Compared to other fish, bettas are actually easier to take care of because they are hardy. That is why people think its okay to keep them in vases. We all know there is a difference between thriving and surviving.

If people want a zero care pet then get a toy fish and plop it in a vase. Done.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I've actually had a petco employee tell me that 10 gallons is too big for a betta because they'll "try to expand" and they do better in cups. Really? I've found that my male does just fine claiming the entire 10 gallons of water as his own, and he's healthy and happy. The only draw back is that I'm having trouble keeping the temperature up with our house so cold.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've actually had a petco employee tell me that 10 gallons is too big for a betta because they'll "try to expand" and they do better in cups. Really? I've found that my male does just fine claiming the entire 10 gallons of water as his own, and he's healthy and happy. The only draw back is that I'm having trouble keeping the temperature up with our house so cold.
I bet the size myths definitely come from pet store employees trying to make a sale. Just about everyone I know believes the "If you put a goldfish in a small tank, it won't grow"/"Fish grow with the size of the tank" thing. Every time I come across this, I promptly show them a picture of my sister's foot-long goldfish in the 10 gallon tank she started with when the goldfish was an inch long.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I was trying to explain the whole "fish are fragile" thing to my dad, so he says something along the lines of when I was a kid my brothers and I all got a fish, we didn't age or change the water or nuthin', and they did just fine. Actually my fish ate Tommy's fish and Todd's fish jumped ship. Them tom killed my fish and man I was pissed. Well after a trip to petco I found out dad's fish was a neon tetra, toms was a yellow and black guppy, and Todd's was a platy. 3 fish in a 10g lasted a month. After telling the story a second time he realized that maybe I was right.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I was trying to explain the whole "fish are fragile" thing to my dad, so he says something along the lines of when I was a kid my brothers and I all got a fish, we didn't age or change the water or nuthin', and they did just fine. Actually my fish ate Tommy's fish and Todd's fish jumped ship. Them tom killed my fish and man I was pissed. Well after a trip to petco I found out dad's fish was a neon tetra, toms was a yellow and black guppy, and Todd's was a platy. 3 fish in a 10g lasted a month. After telling the story a second time he realized that maybe I was right.
Your comment about your dad's story made me smile. :)

I agree with everyone's comments. It is so sad and so maddening to know that there are so many of these beautiful fish out there, living in terrible conditions, the whole of their shortened lives spent just existing! :-(

·
Registered
361 Posts
I keep trying to explain that you have to do once a week water changes for fish, and he keeps saying they did once a month water changes and the fishes did "fine." I asked him if the fishes has any shredded fins with black tips and he said "yeah we didn't really care about those stuff but they probably did"

:|

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I bet the size myths definitely come from pet store employees trying to make a sale. Just about everyone I know believes the "If you put a goldfish in a small tank, it won't grow"/"Fish grow with the size of the tank" thing. Every time I come across this, I promptly show them a picture of my sister's foot-long goldfish in the 10 gallon tank she started with when the goldfish was an inch long.
Heh, could you send this to me? I've got a couple of people that truly believe that fish stop growing when they reach the limits of their tank. One of them owns a goldfish and a pleco. They're sharing a 20 gallon...:roll: At least it's a 20gal tank this time - in the past she's had a pleco and 2 goldfish in a 1.5gal tank WITH A BETTA. (They didn't survive long.)

·
Registered
702 Posts
I unfortunately don't have it on me. I guess I accidentally deleted it off my phone. But it's pretty much this:

Except hers is about 3-4 inches longer. And unlike this one, there's only one.

You can, however, show her this pleco;

He got to this size in a 30 gallon. He was gigantic. Started out as one of the tiny little algae eaters they sell.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I ALWAYS hear the "oh fish only grow to the size of their tanks" myth, it's still a prevalent school of thought in regards to fish here.

I babysit two kids for these parents, the dad is in the Navy. They have four fish tanks in their house; a 10 gallon in each of the boys' rooms, a 15 gallon and a 55 gallon tank. All of the tanks are horribly over-crowded; they fill it according to whatever fish they feel like throwing in each tank.

In the 15 gallon, there's an adult Oscar fish and a common pleco, BOTH of them too large for the tank, and they share that cramped, miserable existence together.

In the 55 gallon, there were too many fish, but half of them died when they decided to go on vacation and not feed their fish, apparently. There's a dragon buchir in there that looks oddly swollen in the back end, instead of sleek and uniform he looks overly muscular and bulked up in the back, and I don't think he's supposed to be that way. They just add more fish when the others die.

Just this last weekend I was babysitting, and the little boy in his excitement dumped an entire half cup of fish food into the 10 gallon tank, so much so that it looked like the tank was raining confetti inside. It was horrible. It became immediately clouded. When I texted the parents, that he had dumped a LOT of fish food into his tank, a LOT, they said "don't worry about it, the fish will clean it up"

......................... they give me a headache and I feel bad for their fish every time I go over there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts