Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that sounds like a silly question. But I've seen a lot of dragons on aquabid that aren't necessarily the "shiny tinfoil" scaled dragons that I think of when I think of dragons. How can you tell if they are dragons? The reason I ask is because at Petco yesterday, there was this beautiful sea foam green HM that looked like he had the thick dragon scales, had red "under" the scales running up his back, had a mask... etc, but wasn't "shiny". Here are some examples of non-shiny dragons kind of like him (not coloring but the type of scales I am talking about). Do these qualify??

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1273241236

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1273242368

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1273461044

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I really want to get him, but I am trying SOOOOOO hard to wait til they get the new line in......... ARGH!

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Dragons are classified by the thick scales. The metallic gene is something different. While you do see a lot of metallic dragons, it doesn't mean a non-metallic dragon isn't a dragon.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Really, when I think of dragons, I think "Thick scales". So, look at him, and if you think he's got thick scales, he's probably a dragon. When you look at it that way, they tend to be fairly easy to tell apart. Just hold him up to one that very obviously isn't a dragon, and compare :)
If you want him that much, go get him xD

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm good to know, thanks guys. I held him up to one that was the same colors, but different scales for sure. So he probably is a dragon. He was SOOOO pretty!!! ARGH! And I felt a connection!! He was begging me! But I want a plakat or two, and only have two slots left in my tanks.... argh!!

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
God, that second aquabid one is SO gorgeous.

Isn't it tough when you feel a 'connection'? You find yourself thinking and thinking about them? You should do what you want! Get him. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah... this guy has similar scales... but sea foam green, with some blue, and red splashed in there... argh!

but then i'll only have one slot left!! argh!!

heheh i'm pathetic

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those were just examples of the kinds of scales the fish has. I'm not actually ordering any of those unfortunately :( They are so beautiful though!!!

·
Banned
578 Posts
Agree Dragons are classified by the thick scales not necessarily the metallic that some of them show!

Get the boy you want before he's gone!

Btw I bid on that last fish! I am in LOVE! Look at the lips!

·
Registered
8 Posts
well dragon bettas are mostly refered to their colorfull scale they have and the white tinted that they have covering their body and face. As of the ones u showed from aquabid yes those are considered dragons because of the coloration's and the scales that represent it. Most of these so called dragon scale betta are bred out from wild type bettas such as the imbellis or smaragidinas or mahachis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts