Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opalo is a cellophane, so I wanted a "white" sounding name. Opal came to mind, but I wanted it to sound masculine, so I added an o to the end. Mr. Gold is named after a character in the TV show Once Upon A Time. Granite got his name because he's a black orchid, and his black-with-colors-mixed-in coloring reminded me of granite counter tops. Alpha-Betta's name is sort of a pun, since Alpha and Beta are letters in the Greek alphabet. White Shadow is named after my favorite Coldplay song.

What about your bettas? :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Arcnologia is also a black orchid, the same color as http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE...ogia__chapter_301__by_akilachione-d5gxst5.png and Mesmer magically changes colors constantly (not a marble, just is white in the sunshine, purple in a normal room, and when I take a pic of him he is blue), in the past ryuuji is Japanese for dragon because I had a dungeon themed fish tank going on and bedru is Sanskrit for (white moon?) and he was labeled as a half moon in the store, he was part cellophane and white and purple.

·
Registered
606 Posts
When I got Tycho (my first, SIP), I sat there for three hours by his tank the first night, reading off names and seeing not only how he reacted, but if it seemed to fit his happy-go-lucky personality.

Esmeralda named herself. I saw her, thought "Esmeralda!" and bought her.

Sherlock also named himself. I picked the cup up off the Petco shelf, and the name Sherlock basically just screamed in my mind. I wasn't going to argue with him.

Gadreal... yeah, theme, he also named himself, in a dream. I liked Gabriel for a name, and that night in my dream, here he comes, yelling at me that I've got the "b" facing the wrong way. From Gabriel to Gadriel, which ended up as Gadreal. I wasn't going to argue with him either.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I had a list of names I liked for Jasper and (this is gonna sound extremely nerdy and geeky and fangirly but ) I thought of one of the more decent characters in Twilight Jasper and I liked the name and tried to go for something else for days before Jasper finally just stuck. He's not named after the character the character just lent his name.

I'm a huge supernatural fan and when I got Castiel he was extremely unexpected and in the show the character Castiel was unexpected to Dean so...yeah...

And Oliver...I accidentally called a coworker Oliver (his name is actually Wilber) as I was trying to figure out a name for him and it stuck.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
1. Sushi because a girl who helped me pick the healthiest fish (she spent an hour and wasn't an employee) had rescued a fish who died, his name was sushi and it seemed right to name him after hers (he should have been cowboy) 2. Stetson because I love a man in a cowboy hat 3. Montana (ugly duckling) was keeping with the country theme and we went to Montana's that night (ugly duckling because he transformed from a sick fish into a swan so to speak) 4. Tennesassy again keeping with the county theme. I wanted to name the next male Tennessee but since she's a girl and sassy tennesassy seemed to fit.

Yes I like everything country :) still waiting for the fish named cowboy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Princess' name was originally Princess Gloria. Gloria because of the word "glorious" which he defiantly is. I'm not sure why Princess just stuck but he totally is my little princess :-D

·
Registered
495 Posts
It was 4th of july when I got Rocket, and he had the colors of a firecracker, so that's where his name came from

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oliver got his name from the main character on "Arrow" and Bo got his name from the main character on "Lost Girl". I watch way too much TV. Glad I'm not the only one!

·
Registered
273 Posts
TyeDye's name cane from his many many colors. His colors when I first got him reminded me of a Tie Dyed shirt because he had a white body with multicolored fins. So in order to add a little twist to it I spelt it as TyeDye :)

With Mushu my newest addition, he is a dragon scale so I wanted something to do with a dragon so I thought and stared at his cup at home and I said a few names, like Pyro, Zuko, then I just kinda randomly thought of the movie Mulan which I had just watched the day before and I thought of the cute little dragon in the movie which was Mushu. So I decided to name him Mushu because of the little dragon :lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
My now aging royal blue veil tail, Prior, got his name from a character in the play Angels in America. Prior was left by his boyfriend after telling him he had AIDS, but later becomes a prophet after being visited by an angel of god. He later rejects the life of prophecy in trade for an additional life.

My other betta, a blue/ white cellophane marble butterfly...thing was dubbed the name Bryansk after the 1000th Russian submarine to be built and launched in 1988. Project667BDRM (Delfin class) is a nuclear powered ballistic sub and is still active with the Russian Navy. Yay Russian military history! I decided on naming him this because hes got the strange habit of "cruising". He builds up speed, and then glides like a torpedo, not even moving a fin. Instantly made me thing of a submarine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I named my fish Lulu, after the Arabic word for "pearl". I think it fits because she is small, pretty and precious.... :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I don't have a theme or anything,but I like to give my boys cute names.Whatever I like the sound of when I get them & if it looks like it suits them is just how I name them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Jon got his name after a character from a game online , the character's only line was " hi , I'm Jon , but I'm a girl ! " and I thought that was so dorky and cute . My bettas full name is Jon the Girl though :3

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Rembrandt came into his name a month after I got him, I couldn't for the life of me figure out a name for him and he went through quite a few before I was looking at my favorite artist and then to my fish and Rembrandt it was!

Aero was more technical, when I first got him he had a broken skunk stripe which made it look like he had arrows pointing up his back. Plus there is a color called aero which was his exact blue so that's where his came from.

Hawkeye's name-sakes have changed, originally it was for Marvel's Hawkeye because he's mainly a purple-ish color. But since watching and falling in love with M*A*S*H, I've decided he's that Hawkeye instead lol.

Pierce has the same namesake as Hawkeye, from M*A*S*H.

Isis is a colaboration name, she's a breeder girl for my best friend's boy so we have Osiris and Isis.

Renoir, Rembrandt's supposed breeder girl but he's a little too old, Renoir is another painter that I love. Her nickname is Rennie to match Remmy ;-)

I could explain all of my fishes names but that would take a while and I'm not sure everyone would appreciate that lol so I'll leave it to these guys here ;-)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm an Art History major, so all of my bettas are named after artists :lol:

Claude Monet because his coloring/marking reminded me of impressionist paintings, Vincent Van Gogh because his colors/markings reminded me of the painting Starry Night, and Maderno after the famous baroque sculptor.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
+1 for artists!!

And for Art History/Art (me) Majors! ;-)

·
Banned
688 Posts
crusader got his name because his black and red colouration is the same as my favourite rugby team, Crusader's Maiden got her name because she's a cute lil maiden:p, Grape got her name, cause her color purple looks like a grape...

Moon got her name, because her shade of black reminds me of how dark it gets without the moon (sorry doesnt make sense), and because the name fits her, can see it in her face... Tigger got his name, because the black botches on his cellophane body formed tiger stripes from his spine down his sides.. Dragon got his name cause he's just that- a dragon..

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
All of my boys are named after fish. XD

Sardine, Anchovy, Tuna, Gar and Pike.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I loved reading these :) I always have difficulty naming fish.

Beauregard: I had just been to New Orleans. I named him after a street.

Matanzas: A local word in a native language, it means "Massacre." He was a red & white butterfly HM, and the red was a bloody color, so it suited him.

Kanoa: Babynames.com or some such search, a Hawaian name that means "The free one."

Mele: running with the Hawain theme, her name means "Song."

Lemon: He was mostly pastel when I got him, and his yellow fins (and the fact that he had been sold as a female) made me name him Lemon.

Crick: Crick is the work for Creek in the area I used to go camping (Northern Blue Ridge Mountains).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Let's see... My first betta Amethyst was entirely purple, I think you can guess why I named him that. Spirit, a plakat I had, was next. I named him Spirit because he had lots of just that. I named Smaug after the dragon from The Hobbit because he was big and shared the color of his namesake.
Sapphire was named for her first hints of color (she was rather gray at first), a rather pleasing blue on her tail, plus I liked the name. I also used to have a halfmoon betta whom I did not name called Lightning, unfortunately he passed away recently. He got his name from my friend (his original owner) because he moved so fast, all the time. Finally, Pi and Patriot, my new guys, got their names from the fact that it was the first thing that popped into my head and the fact his colors matched that of the American Flag, respectively.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts