Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently one of my bettas died and I'm not sure how to clean out his tank. He died of severe bloating and dropsy, possibly, and I tried my best to care for him when he was sick. Although he didn't actually pass away in his tank (I'd moved him into a smaller glass when I knew he definitely wasn't going to make it since he was laying down on his side at the bottom of the tank), he was living in his tank while he was sick.

What I'm wondering is, is the tank "contaminated" per say? If so, what is the best way to "decontaminate" the tank and all of its contents (pebbles, artificial plants, hiding decoration, heater, filter, air stone)? Even if it's not "contaminated," would I have to make sure that these things are as cleaned up as possible?

I would really like to know because I plan on moving some of the items into my other betta tank for now. I also plan to purchase a larger tank in the future but I'll ask questions about that later.
I greatly appreciate all of your responses.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is 2 ways you could go about this.
1) Let the tank stuff sit for a month in the tank. Without a host to freed off of a lot of parasites and bad stuff will die off. But it will take a while for them to starve off.
2) 1 part bleach to 20 parts water to wash everything down. Then rinse and rinse again with a declorinated water if you need to put your mind at ease. Let dry then add away.

This second part would mean you would need to re-cycle everything and you'd basically be acting like you are cleaning a quarantine tank. Anything that has a lot of pores, like wood and ceramic rings used in filtration are easier to throw out and replace then to clean. You'd have to find someone more skilled then me to figure out how to clean those things.

That's the best advice I can give you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you're afraid of using bleach, you could use vinegar (I have asthma so I really try to avoid using bleach if I don't have to). I agree with the letting it sit for a while. Then use a solution of warm water and vinegar and scrub the tank down and swish the water around in it. Make sure you rinse it a lot and very thoroughly to remove all traces of the vinegar (you shouldn't smell ANY vinegar). I used this method for my tank I recently set up again. It sat for a couple months and when I decided I wanted another betta I did this and then let it run and cycle. I've had my new fish in there for about two weeks now (I think?) and he's doing fine and all levels are okay. My previous fish had fin rot so I'm not sure though if what you have is more contagious/if vinegar would work for it but just a suggestion!

·
Registered
223 Posts
You would have to redo the whole cycling process

1 - 5 of 5 Posts