Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got him ( or her ) at petco and he (or her ) was soooooo ADORABLE! I had to get him (or her ) so I did. Now how do I take care of him (or her )? He (or her ) is in his container he came in still but im freaked about that stunting growth hormone k more like WIGGING! I have a new crowntail betta fish and I bought 2 2.5 gallon tanks for them ( I have another adult betta who has tail rot :-( ) I just bought the plants, and stones. So tomorrow I get to clean out the stuff ( yay :| ) but then I will have 2 1 gallon tanks. So I can put him ( or her ) in the tank. I CANNOT GET A BIGGER TANK. I spent most of my money ( cause im 13 ) on the stuff and the medicine ( earlier thing :-( ) and i have to get 2 moss balls for the tanks to. I have frozen daphnia in the freezer, and a heating pad ( betta heating pads are CRAZZZZZYYYYY EXPENSIVE ) but since its a 1 gallon how many water changes do I do? And ps, my mom just wants to do 50% water changes in his tiny container for a week. And THATS WHY IM WIGGING, I DONT EANT HIM TO BE STUNTED!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Ok. first calm down.

Babies require different care then adults. While the petco babies are adorable, many do not make it to adult hood because of poor care in the store. It is very likely that you will lose the baby.

1) Babies need an actual heater (not a heating pad). Their water needs to be at 82 degrees (warmer than adults). Heating pads cause uneven heating and heating too quickly in tanks. Heaters are not that expensive if you find them online. The Hydro heater is often recommended on here.

2) With a one gallon you need to daily 100% water changes. GET THE BABY OUT OF THE CUP HE CAME IN ASAP. the ammonia in that was is EXTREMELY HIGH. I know you are young and can't get a bigger tank BUT you do need one. Maybe ask your mom to buy you one as a present. Or explain to her that your fish will not live a healthy live inside that 1 gallon tank. 2.5 gallons (mean 1 fish for 2.5 gallons) is the minimum for both babies and adults. Daily 100% water changes will easily stress a baby out and most babies are VERY fragile. However, with a 1 gallon tank you NEED to do daily 100% to keep the ammonia down (and keep the growth stunting hormone down)

3) What other fish food do you have? babies can eat crush high quality pellets (like Omega One or New Life Spectrum pellets), frozen foods like blood worms, brine shrimp, daphnia. Do not feed your baby any flakes or freeze dried foods. Your baby cannot live on the frozen daphnia alone. So you need to pick up high quality pellets and some additional frozen or live food options (blood worms, brine shrimp, etc).

4) babies need to be fed many small meals. They should be fed around 3 times a day VERY small meals. one pellet at each meal.

Bottom line - babies are a HUGE commitment and should only be taken in by very experienced fish keepers who have the means and space to keep them healthy. They really should not be adopted by those who are young and do not have the means to take proper care of them.

I know you said you want to save your money for medicine and stuff, however do you realize that if you spend your money on a proper sized tank with an adjustable heater and keep up with water changes then your fish will not get sick. You are not taking care of fish, you are taking care of water. If the water in your tank is clean and is changed accordingly then you will almost never have health problems with your betta.

In addition - Whenever you buy a new fish, you need to have his tank set up with the water filled in it and heated to the right temperature (78-80 for adults and 82 for babies). You can never bring a fish home without a proper tank set up, if you don't you will just cause your fish even more stress. You also need to go STRAIGHT home to the tank after you buy the fish. Not going straight home to the tank will stress your betta out, especially if you leave them in a hot (or cold depending on the time of year) car for hours.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. I will see about that 3rd tank. I have $20 in savings so I can prob get that and yes I 2ill see about the heater... today is crazy but he is so adorable I will do it. The 1 gallon is sadly stuck waiting for me to get started on the 2.5 gallons. I am doing that today but I leave at 3 so pressed at time. But im going to syphon the water in a minute to get that ammonia and hormone out. I have new life spectrum thera A + A formula with garlic. And they are 1mm

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She said no more tanks! ( we live in a apartment so we are still trying to figure out where to put them... but I can get the heater. We are going to do the 50% 1 day then the next day 100% so on and so on. But im setting up the 1 gallon. But what about the holes in the glass stones? Im afraid he is going to get stuck in them

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
With the $20 you can buy a kritter keeper. the largest size is 3 gallons and is around $13 dollars.

you can look online for heaters since they will be cheaper there. Any 25 watt heater will be fine, however it needs to be an adjustable heater (not an automatic preset one). You will need to be able to control the temperature.

I would not use the heating pads even on the adults. You NEED to buy proper heaters for all your bettas.

To make a few extra dollars - ask your neighbors if you can walk their dog (if they have one), take out their trash, water their plants, etc.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
She said no more tanks! ( we live in a apartment so we are still trying to figure out where to put them... but I can get the heater. We are going to do the 50% 1 day then the next day 100% so on and so on. But im setting up the 1 gallon. But what about the holes in the glass stones? Im afraid he is going to get stuck in them
That water change schedule will not work for your one gallon. You will poison your fish ammonia. You need to do DAILY 100% water changes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Remember to follow all of the rules that VivianKJean, she is very good about determining water care! Just think of how amazing he/she will look if you follow all the rules, and take great care of him/her! You should see some peoples videos on Youtube of their Betta babies transformations into adult Bettas!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kk. His temperature is at 82 and he seems happier in that temperature. Im going to get the tank soon also. He is doing good, he is also showing a blue shimmer on the base of his fins! :-D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.