Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a question about the filter media. This is in my goldfish tank but I figured its the same eather way with filtration. My filtermedia is getting pretty ratty... I know they are supposed to be gross but after so many months of getting used it is kinda falling apart but all my bacteria is in that thing! How do I go about getting a new media without destroying my cycle?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Pull & clean the old media as usual. Put it somewhere in the tank where there's plenty of flow. Install new media in the filter. Feed lightly for the next several days, keep an eye on water, do changes if needed. If you're not already using it, Prime is an awesome water conditioner, if you have any spikes a double dose will help get you through that. After a few weeks pull the old ratty media.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull & clean the old media as usual. Put it somewhere in the tank where there's plenty of flow. Install new media in the filter. Feed lightly for the next several days, keep an eye on water, do changes if needed. If you're not already using it, Prime is an awesome water conditioner, if you have any spikes a double dose will help get you through that. After a few weeks pull the old ratty media.
Ok cool thank you, no I don't have prime I have stress coat +. I use that cause a while ago Ru got some tumors, they went away eventually but he is still regrowing scales so I rather not switch over unless absolutely essential. any suggestions on how to keep the fatties from chewing on it while its out? If it fits they will eat haha.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
Depending on which filter you have, you might be able to stuff some or all of the old "seeded" media into the filter along with the new media.

With a cycled tank you don't need the ammonia-detoxifying property of Prime. It's still a better conditioner than Stresscoat in my opinion and that of others.

For scale-injury recovery, clean warm water and high-protein food is the ticket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on which filter you have, you might be able to stuff some or all of the old "seeded" media into the filter along with the new media.

With a cycled tank you don't need the ammonia-detoxifying property of Prime. It's still a better conditioner than Stresscoat in my opinion and that of others.

For scale-injury recovery, clean warm water and high-protein food is the ticket.
Thank ya ; u ; so just cut it up and stuff it in the filter right? ok good, it is cycled had a scare but fixed it. Oh ok, yeah if feed them freeze dried river shrimp and broccoili is their main diet.

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
yeah if feed them freeze dried river shrimp and broccoili is their main diet.
Nah.. that's no good. Get some good-quality pellets like New life Spectrum or Omega One Betta Buffet. Freeze-dried is no good, and Broccoli?!? ...you're kidding right?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nah.. that's no good. Get some good-quality pellets like New life Spectrum or Omega One Betta Buffet. Freeze-dried is no good, and Broccoli?!? ...you're kidding right?
I'm pretty sure he's talking about goldfish? ;D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good eye, RN. Guess I missed that.

Welcome to the forum.
Hehe, that's okay. Though it did make me picture veggie-loving bettas snapping up the little tips of broccoli florets like they were pellets!

Thanks! =)

Reactions: Hallyx
1 - 9 of 9 Posts