Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, My beagle-bassett Emma is too skinny. She is kind of stubborn. I think the people who owned her before me gave her table scrapes and that is a no no in my house. We use old roy and have used it without an issue with all of our dogs. I am aware that people have their preferences with dog food and you are welcome to voice yours but my personal choice is that brand. Remember that all brands have their horror stories. Anyways, is their any tricks to get a hound to gain weight? She has no health problems but she is craving human food and I will not give in to table scrapes. The food I eat isn't even healthy for me :| She isn't skin and bones she weighs about 35-40ish but I would like to see her get a little bit of healthy bulk like a basset if it is all possible. Maybe she just takes after her beagle side? Shes the girl in my avatar. Please feel free to voice if you think she is too skinny or not. Attached is a close up body shot of her. If you need any others I can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, she looks in good weight to me, but I would have to get hands on her to know for sure. Have you done the hands on test for weight?

A couple more questions...

How old is she?
Is she spayed?

And finally, yeah, I personally wouldn't feed Ol' Roy if I was being tortured, but if your dogs are happy, healthy, and well cared for I can't object.

ETA: Here's a link to a page to help decide if your dog is at a good weight. http://www.k9station.com/articles/fat.htm

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She feels boney in the rear end to me. You can see it a little bit in the picture. I will check out that site. The other two are fine weight. Perfect even, I have a terrier that weighs about 12 pounds which is fine for his breed, he is a mix between a border terrier and a dachsund? Not really sure. The Aussie weighs about 50-60 pounds. He is the big fluffy bear in the picture.

She is 5 years old and she is spayed.Thanks Joe

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what that webpage says she is at a fit weight. Maybe I am just used to my sisters fat dogs? :lol:. My main issue is I never saw a dog with prominent hipbones before.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ok, I know what that feels like, and I can relate. My boy was always underweight as a youngster, in fact one of his nicknames was "shelf butt." But, after he hit around 3 years old he was finally able to add weight. Sometimes they don't fill out until they reach maturity. Being spayed/neutered can also help them put on weight.

In his later years, and after the cancer diagnosis, he lost weight like mad and I had to add all sorts of supplements to keep any weight on him. Poor old pup.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just saw your last comment, and yeah, most folks overfeed their pets to the point that the poor things are way over their ideal weight. I always tried to keep my boy on the light side.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't know what to do if my terrier mix was overweight and wasn't trying to eat me. Same with my Aussie/Collie mix. He is a big teddy and loves to lay his head on my shoulders to sleep but he also loves to chase the local kitties even though he wouldn't know what to do with one if he caught it. My Beagle/Basset is lovable and sweet. I just don't know how my sister can be okay with stuffing her babies full of crap. It's like she thinks "If I give them a treat they know I love them" The best way you show them you love them is to keep them at a healthy weight. What dog food do you prefer?

Attaching total cuteness for you to absorb. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please ignore my dirty and unswept bedroom. I swear it isn't that disgusting all the time. *BLUSHES*

·
Registered
631 Posts
Awwww, they're total sweeties! I really miss my boy. (Sob!) I am in serious puppy withdrawal.

I don't have a dog right now, I lost my boy late last year, so I'm not current on foods. The recent big recall was scary.

In general I prefer grain-free, and I will probably rotate protein sources with my next dog. I went through lots of feeds to find that right one for my boy who had a sensitive tummy. I think I fed Evo the longest but they had just been sold a short time when I had to take him off kibble because of the wound in his mouth from the melanoma.

I like Acana, or some of the other smaller, Canadian manufacturers.

The thing that I like is that the higher quality foods usually require leads to be fed, therefore less poo is produced.

I honestly think that my use of a "raw type" diet (Honest Kitchen) added several *quality* months to my boy's life. Super expensive, but worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
631 Posts
Oh, and do not worry about the house. I've been sick with migraines for months and the last thing I want to do on my few good days is clean house! We're talking pig sty!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
292 Posts
She looks to be in good weight to me. You should be able to feel her ribs without having to use a lot of pressure, same goes for the hind quarters. I personally would switch food. You don't have to go all out and feed your dogs the most expensive stuff on the market, i know that price is usually what it comes down too. From my experience Taste of the Wild has been cheaper than most high end foods but is great quality. Thats what I feed my dogs. But even something like Eukanuba is a little better than old roy but still not extremely expensive. I like Euk's Adult Lamb and Rice formula.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My dog food of choice is Blue. That's what I have my pup on. Have to have him on quality food because he's going to be my service dog.

Being a hound, she'll look/feel a little lean. They tend to be more muscle. She looks good to me. I know how you feel about table scraps. Mine gets none though the roomies give their danes lots. :/ Only thing my pup gets is checken broth frozen into ice cubes for hot days.

·
Registered
492 Posts
she looks fine to me too, though if you are worried you could try a higher calorie food. TBH premium foods are more expensive but your pets will eat a lot less of it because premium food has more digestable food and less filler then stuff like ol' roy. So it kinda works out in the end

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha, yea, I just don't seem to have enough time for housework anymore and the husband won't clean. He comes home and colapses and doesn't move. I have been hearing more and more about kitchen prepared raw foods but I am concerned about her. She gets sick if she eats anything other than dog food. I may try something for sensitive tummys and feed her seperate from the other dogs.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I agree, she does look good weight but if you feel she NEEDS a few more pounds, feed her your brand of puppy chow. Our dog Zoey Mo was such a scrawny thing we thought she was sick or something, other people though we didn't feed her (She ate her bowl and our other dogs at times). As it turns out she got just a veracious metabolism and works off regular food super quick, so we switched her to puppy chow (vet recommended). She finally had got a few pounds on her now and looks a lot better

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hmm, thats a lot of good ideas. Her being a beagle partly would cause her to have a higher metabolism. That's a good idea and a cheaper fix. Thanks! I hope the puppy chow works for her. It would be more sensitive on her tummy too.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It'll put on the weight quick because its full of fats so make sure you watch closely and when you feel like she's got those couple extra pounds start slowly switching her back. If she loses it again you might have to figure out a mixture of adult and puppy food that works for her.

our other dog is getting chubby too even though she doesn't need the puppy food but when they switch bowls on ya every 2 minutes its hard to control who eats what.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She looks to be in good weight to me. You should be able to feel her ribs without having to use a lot of pressure, same goes for the hind quarters. I personally would switch food. You don't have to go all out and feed your dogs the most expensive stuff on the market, i know that price is usually what it comes down too. From my experience Taste of the Wild has been cheaper than most high end foods but is great quality. Thats what I feed my dogs. But even something like Eukanuba is a little better than old roy but still not extremely expensive. I like Euk's Adult Lamb and Rice formula.
I am glad you said this the way you did. My sister tells me all the time all of my dogs are too skinny. My vet says my terrier is perfect weight. He got extra check ups because when he was found he was covered in cow poo and underweight. Just because my dogs don't collapse like logs and pant like hers do when they barely walk doesn't mean they are malnurished. Her dogs are way fat. She has a norwegian elkhound and a beagle/dachsund mix. Both obese. Both breath heavy. Both get gobs of food and iced dog cookie treats everyday. My dogs don't get treats I want my doggys to be healthy and being overweight is not good for a pooch. Emma just seemed a little skinny to me. I am glad no one here seems to think she is. That's great.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It'll put on the weight quick because its full of fats so make sure you watch closely and when you feel like she's got those couple extra pounds start slowly switching her back. If she loses it again you might have to figure out a mixture of adult and puppy food that works for her.

our other dog is getting chubby too even though she doesn't need the puppy food but when they switch bowls on ya every 2 minutes its hard to control who eats what.
I know what you mean. My three prefer one big bowl where they take turns eating. It's actually pretty funny. But all three heads go in the water bowl at the same time. :lol:

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
lol if its hot out Zoey-Mo will paw at her water dish, trying to swim in it. Untill we let her outside and fill up her pool :p

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts