Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I said in the title, how do I know? I have never been able to breed bettas but I love them so much and I want to make my own line. I got a Great! female and male 2-3 days ago. They seem to really like each other, the male is making a nest already and they are both very active. So I believe the male is ready but how do I know She is really? This is where I think I'm failing in breeding bettas (not having them BOUTH ready). I will put a Pic of the girl.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If she's filled out by that, I mean if she looks like she's gained weight then she's full of eggs. If your female has vertical stripes that's another thing to look for. Also, watch her, if she's being submissive she'll lower her head and hold her tail up.

Keep in mind if she's a lighter color like white for example it'll be harder to tell because her stripes won't show up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, she has a white body with very dark red fins, so I was wondering if she would even get vertical stripes. So like you said I will keep an eye on it and see. They cant see each other right now but when I first got them I let them see each other for a bit and the male was dancing the hole time and the female stayed right next to the male and did not try to swim away(they where not in the same tank) So I'll need to watch for the head down, I was not looking for that the first time so I don't know if she did it. Thanks again for the help :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
No problem, since her body is a lighter color the stripes might not show up but if it seems like she's filled out that's one thing to look for. Sounds like your bettas like each other to a certain degree.

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
* Usually females will fill up a bit. But then you need to know her "normal" size/posture.
* They will show breeding bars - pale colored bars at the mid section. Unfortunately light colored female will not show them because the color of the bars will blend with the body color.
* I rely more on body language. . . . look at youtube videos. Compare bettas wanting to breed to those wanting to fight. In breeding mode they will flare and swim all over the tank in an "S" fashion . . . or what you call "dance" (first post). Both male and female must show this behavior. When in fighting mode, they flare but hold their stand.
* Head down behavior is usually done only when female is ready to embrace/lay eggs.

·
Banned
688 Posts
for light colour females, check the gill plate. Most of the time they'll have a solid vertical line on it. But thats if she's in the presence of the male and its one way of telling if she's ready. But if i were you, i'd condition the pair first for two weeks just to be certain they're both ready

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.