Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I prevent fungal growth on my pebbles and cave in my betta tank? I just cleaned out the tank because there was black fungus growing on the pebbles and green fungus growing on the cave. I only have one betta fish living in it. The tank is 1 gallon and has a filter and light. Also, whenever I change it's water, I keep the tank in the garage for 1 hour so the water isn't too cold for my betta.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Was the green stuff a bright bluish green?

All betta require a heater (not optional). Use a thermometer under the tap water to ensure it matches the temp of that in the tank.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That sounds like cyanobacteria. That's not a fungus nor is it algae... it's bacteria. Your water chemistry is very unbalanced. There's a dozen things you could do to get rid of it, but until you fix the issue with your water chemistry it will repeatedly return.

Fix your water chemistry, add a heater (stable at 76F until bacteria is gone), add an airstone, and be diligent with your tank maintenance/gravel cleanings.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Um? Is it warm in your garage? It's winter, so I'd be keeping the water inside to stop it from getting cold. I would upgrade soon as an unheated 1gal is not a proper home for a Betta.

Fungus comes more from rotting food than other stuff. Keep the tank clean and you shouldn't be pestered by to much algae and bacteria.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts