Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this CT from november 2011 that is a bloated looking betta. i just fed him 1-2 pellets worth of frozen BW. the bloat on him will take a day or 2 to go away. i feed him whenever the bloating is less than it currently is. i havent fed him pellets or flakes, just frozen foods. i know its not the best to do so but he seems to digest them easier than the dry foods. for the first month the current bloating remained for weeks. it took time but now he's gone to a barely noticable bloat at best of times. sometimes it takes a day to do his business. will this feeding pattern starve him in the long run and does he look too skinny? i want to feed him alot of food to get some weight but i dont want to bloat him too much.

·
Super Moderator
6,144 Posts
Your guy doesn't look too healthy. His fins are clamped and he looks very thin.
IMO bettas are sort of similar to humans. Some are genetically meant to be fat while others are thin. So some can take more food than others. If your little guy digests his food that long, try reducing the amount per feeding but increasing the frequency. Feed 1-2 BW at a time but... say 3-5 times daily. If he eats until he bloats, his belly should return normal in about 6 hours. Otherwise he may have digestion issues.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
My new boy is just like that.. CTs tend to look more bloated thanks to their stream line body. One pellet alone is enough to cause that in mine as well.
You definitely have a baby there.. like mentioned above, break the food up and feed a tiny tiny bit multiple times. But trust me, I know how you feel.. I want to feed Creeper so much to get him to not look emaciated, but yet he bloats up after a single pellet worth of food. Grr.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much, his fins dont always stay like that. he does stretch them out once in a while. they do stretch out a a bit when he's in the WC cup so he's not a severe clamp if anything. i never saw him clamp up 200% or anything close to that. i think he's lost some weight. its very bizzare that my CT gives me such issues, my DT has no bloating issues that soon. i did have some issues with the DT but splitting a meal worked for his first 2-3 months. after that i could just feed him a days worth full meal in 1-2 servings

dated dec 31 2011, range almost the same, zoom used if any ???

i'll try to soak the pellets though the wardley's is rather hard to do so. i did get him when he was young. i'll try to feed some flakes next opportunity i get. i'll look at other pics i took of him when i 1st got him to compare later on today, im a bit pressed for time atm.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here are pics from dec 2nd 2011 5 degrees celcius is a bit over 1/8th inch

·
Registered
211 Posts
Be careful about feeding at all when bloated. It's reccommended to lay off feeding for one or two days to let his system clear before feeding him again. The healthiest feeding habits are a mix of food - pellets, freezedried, and occasional flakes if they'll eat them. Feeding 2-4 pellets twice daily is also a good habit. In his condition, I'd stay low at 2 pellets twice daily.

You should also skip one day a week so his digestive system can regulate, even when he's healthy. It'll help avoid future problems like this.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you, i'll try to give atleast 2 pellets if his belly can handle it.

im going to get some nutrafin pellets. they're soft but probably not good as wardley (hard pellets). nutrafin pellets are easily split, did that with my VT when he was young. thankfully my CT has passed thru the BW i fed him yesterday. i got garlic guard for him a week into his consistent bloat look. probably fed him 3-4 times within 2 weeks. the steady diet of frozen BW took care of the consisten bloat, he never once lost that look for some time. can garlic guard help digestion?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never used it before, but I'm glad to hear you're doing well for your fish.

If his bloat is gone or going down, continue what you're doing. If he's on a good feeding regimen, then he should continue to get better if he's already had progress, and shouldn't have this happen again in the future. Probably a week after his bloat is completely gone, I'd try to add more variety to his diet to keep him healthy and eating. A rotation of foods is good for fish, and keeps them from getting bored with their food.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i doubt the bloat will go 100% away nor his quick bloating. he does have weight to regain. he doesnt get bored with any food. anything that goes in is eaten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts