Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to be moving in 2 weeks. Moving 30 mins away to orange county.
Since our moving day is on the week of Spike's 50% water change I decided to move his water change from monday to the day of the move (weds/thurs).
I was going to cup him/empty his tank 50%. His tank will be fastened in the back sit and I will hold him in his cup.

How do you move?

·
Registered
843 Posts
When I travelled with Fabio, I kept him in his cup and kept him between my legs. He stayed warm, the cup was steady, and he was relatively stress free.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I travelled with Fabio, I kept him in his cup and kept him between my legs. He stayed warm, the cup was steady, and he was relatively stress free.
but going over bumps he'd be tossed around in his cup?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I travelled by greyhound, one of the worst ways to travel...bumps were prevelant among other things. Would you be driving?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I travelled by greyhound, one of the worst ways to travel...bumps were prevelant among other things. Would you be driving?
no
either hubs or best friend is going to be driving

·
Registered
843 Posts
That should make it easier. If you just keep an eye on him, he should be fine. I travelled over 8 hours this way and Fabio was fine. He was even eating on the trip. There is no way to stop them from moving entirely, but I felt that holding him firmly in my legs helped.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no way to stop them from moving entirely
I agree.
However, I want the water movement as minimal as possible.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well, I've found legs/cushioned grip better than cup holders.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I moved with my late boy Bacardi 4 hours to our new home.. He was great! Put him in a cup in the cup holder and we went on our merry way. Goose my other late boy did the same trip with me a year later. Both boys did great, yours is also only a half hour so i'm sure they will be fine.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Pack him like you're shipping him.

We really need this topic stickied -_-

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm moving in a few weeks. Planning on getting the boys and girls into individual bags with a supply of water, and air. It's a 20 minute drive, and then I have to set up their tanks. As in Plural. I'll probably set up the individual tanks first. Then the 10 and the 33.

For a 30 min trip. Bag with air in the top (I'm sure you can ask a pet store for some). Place in a paper bag, or in my case, I'll wrap each one in plain newspaper (no print on it).

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I've found legs/cushioned grip better than cup holders.
He wouldn't be in a cup holder
I would be holding him in my hands.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm moving in a few weeks. Planning on getting the boys and girls into individual bags with a supply of water, and air. It's a 20 minute drive, and then I have to set up their tanks. As in Plural. I'll probably set up the individual tanks first. Then the 10 and the 33.

For a 30 min trip. Bag with air in the top (I'm sure you can ask a pet store for some). Place in a paper bag, or in my case, I'll wrap each one in plain newspaper (no print on it).
why the paper?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I travelled by greyhound, one of the worst ways to travel...bumps were prevelant among other things.
oh god, brings back nightmares of my greyhound days..from NY to arizona and back..Im assuming things havent changed sine 1998?

anyways, I took my fish from Alaska to New York In January. And trust me, no road can posible be any worse then the Alaska Highway in winter.

I kept mine in cups since it was a 5000 mile journey but if you are only going 30 minutes away, I dont see why you can't do as Mr. V says. Put them in fish shipping bags and pack them with those annoying packaging peanut things. I had to hold mine in my lap the whole *(&*&* way since it was VERY cold out and very cold inside but this time of year, I dont think that's an issue - especially since its like 90F here right now and I am in northeast NY.

Either way, if its a bumpy road, he is gonna get tossed around some.

If you only have 1 betta, I dont see why you can't hold him. That's like the time it takes me to get one home from the petstore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts