Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just started cycling a tank, and I added too much gravle, so once it is cycled, I will remove some and store ti for later, BUT i dont know how to store it. How do you stor eit without lettign it dry out?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I could be wrong, but even if the gravel stays wet, I think the bacteria would still die. I think that the flow of water, oxygenation, and heat all play a role in keeping the beneficial bacterial alive.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Keep it in any sort of bag. Aft it dries out. You don't have to store and preserve gravel any special way

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but it never driers out! i will leave it in an open bag for a month and it will be wet at the bottom when i pour it out!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I usually use a larg net in with small quantities of gravel each time and leave it outside, do this regularly until all of the trawl is dried out.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I use a colander with holes too small for the gravel to fall through. I make sure the gravel is no more than 2-3 inches deep and then I set the colander in the sink. Within about a day or two it is dry. But I also have my own fish room to do stuff like this in. I've also taken to storing gravel in my old betta bowls. It's a good deterrent for getting more of 'em. ;-)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I clean off my kitchen table, layer out some clean paper towels, boil the gravel, drain it and spread it out over a large area, preferably as thin of a layer as you can get it. Hot rock tends to dry faster. Leave it set for a couple of days and store it in plastic containers. I rip bags to easy and plastic containers are easier to store in my case (ziploc). I boil because it helps with the fishy smell and sanitary reasons.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I spread it out on trays on the garden table.

I have about ten kilos of spare gravel of varying sizes and colours on a shelf in my bedroom. It's getting insane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts