Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a few thread where people have trouble cupping their fish, I decided to show how I cup mine. I always feed them in their cups.

Male

Skip to the end lol, for this girl couldn't figure out why she cant simply swim straight through the plastic for the first 40 seconds or so.

Female

This makes water changes infinitely easier.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Some of my bettas I use a shallow clear bowl :lol: they sit in it :roll: others I cup, and others I have to herd with the net into a container. :)

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, It was funny imagining you doing that. I'm glad I have two nice little fishies that are so obedient :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: Red acts like a baby :roll: And he's a slippery little bugger hehe

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Wow..Aokashi, your fish are sooo cooperative..I wish you could do that for Sammy..lol..now I see what type of cup your using too.. and I don't have that kind..so I use a longer cup..so afraid if he jumps out..so I have one that once he's in then I try to work as fast as I can so he won't jump out..my biggest fear, but when I get him in a baggie I already have a smaller tank ready to let him rest in, so if in case there are prob=s along the way..and takes more time to get things done..(oh boy) especially if I miss the reg change time..spose to be tonight..:( not looking foward to it..

Also being that I have a Cylindrical tank, ugg,.makes it even worse..going all the way down..but with most of the water out..before I start..Thanks for doing that video..that was great!!!

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@sena : My babies will always be babies to me :D even when they grow into old toothless fish :) I have yet to name them though >.>

@ fishyfishy, Lol! I know right. And sometimes she'll just sit there with her face pressed to the outside plastic going, ok I'm ready! Take me up!
And I'll be all like, but you're still OUTSIDE the cup you silly goose

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Wow..Aokashi, your fish are sooo cooperative..I wish you could do that for Sammy..lol..now I see what type of cup your using too.. and I don't have that kind..so I use a longer cup..so afraid if he jumps out..so I have one that once he's in then I try to work as fast as I can so he won't jump out..my biggest fear, but when I get him in a baggie I already have a smaller tank ready to let him rest in, so if in case there are prob=s along the way..and takes more time to get things done..(oh boy) especially if I miss the reg change time..spose to be tonight..:( not looking foward to it..

Also being that I have a Cylindrical tank, ugg,.makes it even worse..going all the way down..but with most of the water out..before I start..Thanks for doing that video..that was great!!!
like an actual cup you drink from?
you can use the cup they came in from the petstore
you could also use a sandwhich baggie if your just doing a water change

fishyfishy, Lol! I know right. And sometimes she'll just sit there with her face pressed to the outside plastic going, ok I'm ready! Take me up!
And I'll be all like, but you're still OUTSIDE the cup you silly goose
ROFL
priceless...shes a special one

·
Registered
208 Posts
aokashi, you have it down to an art! It helps when you don't have to be fast about what you're doing, because the fishes comply so willingly. They really seem to look forward to the emergence of the cup. Thanks for sharing this with us--it gives us hope.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
aokashi, you have it down to an art! It helps when you don't have to be fast about what you're doing, because the fishes comply so willingly. They really seem to look forward to the emergence of the cup. Thanks for sharing this with us--it gives us hope.
It's easy to teach too
When I tried with Spike I used his food to lure him into the cup/when I let him out I gave him another pellet.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm using condiment cups from chipotle >.>

Buy when they grow bigger I have my eyes set on those 1 gallon tanks by deep blue. I'll be getting a pair and when I move them I'll be using the betta cup these guys came in.

You can always do that "95% water change" where you siphon out as much water as you can whilst still giving fishie enough water to swim in. then fill up and repeat :D

With my old fish, I would have to try and pour him out of the tank because everytime it would be a crazy chase and we'd both end up exhausted, thank goodness it was only one gallon

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's easy to teach too
When I tried with Spike I used his food to lure him into the cup/when I let him out I gave him another pellet.
My method is: cup time = food time. no cup no food :p

They both got it pretty quickly, especially the boy, probably because I started on training him right away and he was always fed in a cup instore. I was actually quite surprised.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lolol! I dont think it provides enough information, but if someone does make a thread on "ten ways to catch your fiSh" they should dwfinitely sticky it

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
lolol! I dont think it provides enough information, but if someone does make a thread on "ten ways to catch your fiSh" they should dwfinitely sticky it
ROFL
now im thinking of ways to catch a fish
itll likely turn into a humor thread before it gets the chance to get stickyed

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ooo I'm so jealous. Portal Prime doesn't like being cupped and avoids anything I stick in his tank like it was a bloodworm! (he hates bloodworms x.x) I have to resort to netting....

·
Registered
135 Posts
This thread is cute:)

I must admit I always use my hands for this (clean hands). I've never cupped them and I have to do a lot of pointing to their pellets when I feed so they associate my fingers with feeding; they all swim right into my hands! Then I scoop them gently where they need to go and they get a treat. They are pretty cute about it. This is some of my favorite interaction with them.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This thread is cute:)

I must admit I always use my hands for this (clean hands). I've never cupped them and I have to do a lot of pointing to their pellets when I feed so they associate my fingers with feeding; they all swim right into my hands! Then I scoop them gently where they need to go and they get a treat. They are pretty cute about it. This is some of my favorite interaction with them.
Thats so cute! I dont always have the cleanest of hands, and frankly I hate fish water! lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts