2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

· Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay fine, we're back together :)

· Registered
22 Posts
Okay as someone who understands more then I care to know.... I answered a 7, I was gonna answer 6 but people would post less previously answered questions than if 7, so I went with 7.

Simply saying 10 is silly.... I don't really do bettas at all I do NPT and everything from assembling a CO2 system, wiring every type of light, soil substrate, all kinds of filters I can do repair and maintenance on and ect. Regardless I can't keep a betta alive at all, they are the great mystery of fish kind IMO. So unless your at the fish store or home improvement store looking at lighting thinking if 400nm light is blue or not then you really don't need 10.

· Reference Team
844 Posts
If I can't convince you I can still try to drowned you in info anyway so have fun. I'm glad the struggle is noticed tho lol.

kudos to to knowing the wavelength of blue light too!
haha.. You just gave me flash backs of my little brother.. Thats his favored tactic of getting someone to get off his back...Go over the top with EXTREMELY obscenely unnecessary information. Intentional overload lol

· Registered
1,181 Posts
I vote myself at a 5.5. Interested in learning all about how to keep my fish happy and healthy, but not sure I need to know the life cycle of every parasite. My husband, however, far prefers to learn about the life cycle of parasites (he's a biologist so he's weird that way), so between the two of us, we probably balance out well. Whether I intend to use that knowledge to have the world's most perfect tank? I'm pretty much happy if my fish survive my 4 year old.

· Registered
113 Posts
I rank it a 10 because when I get a pet I want to know literally everything to ensure their long. healthy, and happy life. I'm terrible at studying for school, but when it comes to anything animal related I am a fiend for information.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Well I "believe" that having an understanding of cycling and water chemistry and knowing to choose the proper fish that can handle your water is very important like a 10, you would not want to put a pair of $300 dollar discus into a tank with a high Ph, now as far as lighting, well that depends on do you have plants? and if you do is the tank high tech with co2, if not is it just for the fish appearance? so unless you do no research and just like throwing money away you can get this part going with not near as much research as water chemistry, filters is more about making sure the filters are rated for the size of tank you have, and if you want HOB, canister, or sponge, or well the whole sump/ wet dry thing which would require learning how it works, but would be overkill for a betta tank, but if you had a huge barracks set up then maybe it could be useful, the hard part is learning what works with you water as far as fish and plants go.....believe me on the plants end Peachii and I have tried tons of plants in our water and we have crashed and burned, had some spectacular failures, and some amazing success despite what the databases have said about the plants and what conditions they need, and yes I would say that most of the plant database is maybe 75-80% right and that varies from source to source, sometimes you just need to roll up your sleeves and try things

· Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Can't be afraid of failure :)

· Reference Team
844 Posts
Stone .. I know I'm guilty of when I hear something will not work .. Read it enough places sometimes I just have to try it to see if I can do it despite what's said .. Now I'm not going to take a completely uneducated risk. That's why I like to learn.. So I can take all the educated risks I do haha. (With our expensive discus too ;-) )

Sent from Petguide.com App

· Registered
173 Posts
I want to learn about everything I can that will help me keep my fish alive and healthy. Having said that, I don't have a good science and chemistry background so unfortunately there is some stuff that's just above my head. That's when I just need somebody to tell me what I should do.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Stone .. I know I'm guilty of when I hear something will not work .. Read it enough places sometimes I just have to try it to see if I can do it despite what's said .. Now I'm not going to take a completely uneducated risk. That's why I like to learn.. So I can take all the educated risks I do haha. (With our expensive discus too ;-) )
You and me both :-D Saying something HAS to be done makes me want to see for myself if it really does.

· Registered
157 Posts
I want to know what's going on inside my fish tank because when I didn't I let my fish suffer. To me it's extremely important to understand as much as possible about how my aquarium and everything in it work. I think that the more you know the better fish keeper you are.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
most fish they give you a ph they should be kept in, but that number is really more about spawning, most fish can tolerate a not "ideal" ph, but some fish can not, so when buying fish you need to know this, plants can be the same way, we has bad luck with some of the easiest things like mosses and java fern believe it or not lol where we have high dollar buces that we are having great success with that according to the "requirements" we should be failing, water sprite is another that does not do well, but a lot of this depends on what the water was like that the plants came out of, usually if you can get plants form people in your area they do very well, a lot of plants do not do well with excel, anacharis is one of them but if you go slowly with how much you dose and work your way up to a full dose it will do fine, it helps if you buy from someone who uses excel if you plan on using it.. especially with mosses and anacharis

· Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just a bump to hopefully get some more votes.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.