Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old, which is why I got into this hobby in the first place. Her little friend got a betta for her 2nd birthday, and my daughter wanted one too, so I figured why not. I knew it would be my responsibility for now, which is what one expects with pets for toddlers.

We got her a betta and a 10G tank and put it in the living room. I got her involved as much as a 2 year old could be. It was her job to feed, with her counting out the pellets, dropping them in, adding the water conditioner, helping hold the gravel siphon, etc.

Now, 5 bettas later (we have 5 total now, we haven't gone through 5), my daughter is now 3 and wants a tank in her bedroom. Great. I have a spare 5 gallon tank, media to seed it, a heater. She's responsible and caring enough that she won't put anything in the tank or anything like that. I'm going to do a princess theme - coat some princess toys in clear plasti-dip and put them in for extra decor and a castle cave, etc.

Just a general query - how involved are your kids in the fish care, and at what age did they start taking on more responsibility? I want to teach her as much as I can about this. I feel like having these fish as pets has already taught her a great deal about responsibility, empathy, and caring for another creature.

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plasti dip is waterproof, inert, and 100% aquarium safe when cured. It is awesome stuff. I coat any questionable decoration in it, and I have a coat of the clear on my 3d background in my 54 gallon tank. The best part is it fills and seals any cracks or pits in whatever you're coating, meaning any algae growth or any nasties just wipe right off with a paper towel. People use the colored versions to coat filter tubes or spraybars to make them match each other or blend into the background. I know people who have even used it as a final coating on diy plywood aquariums!

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input everyone :) We have already experience the first fish death (dropsy), and my daughter handled it well. I was away for a few days this past week, and the first thing my daughter asked when I got back is if she can still have her fishy in her bedroom. It's about time to start a chore chart/allowance system with her anyway, so I'm going to make helping with fish care part of her weekly chores. She already does help me with the other tanks, but this one will be "hers" with me obviously having the main responsibility. I have a day off this week, so I'll set up her tank for her and move her betta from the divided tank and into her room.

Bonus for me - I have an empty spot in the divided 20g tank...time for a new fishy for mommy!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.