Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting 15 minutes after adding the water conditioner to put it in the aquarium....but I don't even know why.....So how long do I have to wait after adding either of these to tap water before I can put that water in my aquarium?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It works on contact...the water is fish safe the second it is mixed in.....
Oh, okay haha thanks :)

I just tested the fresh water in the bucket (with conditioner) and it said it was more basic and harder than the week old water in my tank....is that normal?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
By how much of a difference?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The only thing I can think of that causes a pH change from aged water is that the dissolved CO2 from your water has come out of it, causing a rise in pH, but Olympia raises a good point.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By how much of a difference?
Posted via Mobile Device
You know what, I don't know exactly because I only have test strips....I'm going to get a liquid test kit but I don't have any money yet :/

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
The only thing I can think of that causes a pH change from aged water is that the dissolved CO2 from your water has come out of it, causing a rise in pH, but Olympia raises a good point.
Yup...I have a well and my water goes from around 6.8 to 7.7 when left to sit :shock:. I attribute it to dissolved CO2 since aeration really seems to speed up the diffusion process. I hate my water...thinking of getting a RO unit if I set up another tank.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup...I have a well and my water goes from around 6.8 to 7.7 when left to sit :shock:. I attribute it to dissolved CO2 since aeration really seems to speed up the diffusion process. I hate my water...thinking of getting a RO unit if I set up another tank.
So should I try to add it to the aquarium promptly?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If you are using your tap water to fill your tank: Add dechlorinator/conditioner immediately before putting it in

If you are using your aged water to fill your tank: Add dechlorinator/conditioner only before it goes into the tank

BASICALLY, you have to add it right before it goes into the tank, regardless how long you age the water for

1 - 11 of 11 Posts