Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if my baby betta is male or female. I got him or her about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it's still a baby. When will it reach adult hood?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
They typically mature around the 3 month mark HOWEVER, these baby Bettas from petCo are severely stressed and have gone through the trauma of being separated, shipped and then stuffed in a tiny cup. Many of these babies end up dead but there are some who survive and live on fine. It may take longer for these babies to become sexually mature because of all the stress they've been through and possible growth stunting.

Babies require more care than regular adults, do you know how to take care of them? If not, no worries, I can give you the basic instructions on their care :)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Yeah, alot of them never reach adulthood. Out if 7, only 3 lived to become an adult females and only 1 is still alive. The other 2 probably would still be alive if they weren't in soriety that had an illness outbreak.

How big is your tank? The do seem to mature faster in larger, cycled tanks then in smaller uncycled ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a baby betta as well

I believed it was a rather plain looking female, and bought her because I figured nobody else would. I have her in a heated, filtered 2.5 gallon soft flowing betta bow.
I keep the temperature at 83 degrees F and the water crystal clean .

Feed her tropical flakes , which she devours .Crushed betta pellets, which she devours . Sometimes crushed bloodworms , which she devours . I gave her a bit of a cooked pea the other day . She devoured it.
Normally she gets fed small amounts of the above mentioned fish food twice a day .

Her tank is decorated with velvet plants and a hollow log
I have had her for almost two weeks . She is surprisingly developing very colourful blue and red markings on her tail and fins
Her name is Delta. She is noticeably growing and is full of life

I am also new to taking care of babies . Is there anyone out there who can tell me if I am missing something?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to learn more about taking care of baby bettas. It seems to be doing fine, I feed it about three times a day, but I break up the pellets and feed it to it because it cant eat the pellets... I feel like this is wrong, but my mom said pellets are cheap, and she doesn't want to spend to much money on like, live food. I have colorful rocks, in a 1gallon bowl, I have some fake plants in the bowl. There is plenty of room for it to swim in, it looks happy and is an active fish. It doesn't look like it has a problem with the food I feed it. I also have an adult male betta. But in a different bowl (They are seperated)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Sounds like you're off to a good start right now!

Well there are low quality pellets and high quality pellets. Do you guys have cats or dogs? Food nutrition is all the same in the animal world. There are things called fillers which are Wheat, Corn and Soybean. Wheat is okay if it's not the first two ingredients preferably but it is used as a binder to hold the food together so that's sort of necessary. But basically you don't want fillers in the first three ingredients if you can help it, you want meat sources for Bettas since they are insectivores; carnivores by nature. New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula is relatively inexpensive and can usually be found in PetCo or you can get the Betta Formula and break it up as you've been doing.

You don't need live food though, frozen foods are great if you can convince her since you will need to store it in the freezer lol But the pellets will be very fine if that's all you can get! Two times a day is the normal and for me it is the minimum, three times is great though! Small but frequent meals is the key!

Heaters are important for these baby fish, just like a mother wouldn't want her baby child to be so cold and get sick, we've got to keep these babies nice and warm too! A small 25W adjustable heater will be your friend! You want the temp right around 80-82 ideally but anything near that will be just fine.

You're going to have to do water changes daily because it is a small tank. They excrete a growth stunting hormone (GSH) which can inhibit their growth and can lead to an early death as well. This is part of the reason so many die; the cups they are in lets this hormone build up faster just like ammonia and it ends up effecting them badly in the end. So the larger the tank the less you will have to worry so much about ammonia building up or the GSH building up. But daily changes, if you happen to skip a day here and there that is okay but ideally you want to do 50% to 100% daily changes for your baby.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! This was very helpful and I will keep all of it in mind. How much do heaters cost? And I have a bowl, so is it something it would sit in the bowl, or be clipped to the side.. orrrr what? Also, I clean the bowl, the rocks, and the plants, every saturday. Is that frequent enough?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have a baby betta as well

I believed it was a rather plain looking female, and bought her because I figured nobody else would. I have her in a heated, filtered 2.5 gallon soft flowing betta bow.
I keep the temperature at 83 degrees F and the water crystal clean .

Feed her tropical flakes , which she devours .Crushed betta pellets, which she devours . Sometimes crushed bloodworms , which she devours . I gave her a bit of a cooked pea the other day . She devoured it.
Normally she gets fed small amounts of the above mentioned fish food twice a day .

Her tank is decorated with velvet plants and a hollow log
I have had her for almost two weeks . She is surprisingly developing very colourful blue and red markings on her tail and fins
Her name is Delta. She is noticeably growing and is full of life

I am also new to taking care of babies . Is there anyone out there who can tell me if I am missing something?
This. Props for taking good care of her!

Thank you! This was very helpful and I will keep all of it in mind. How much do heaters cost? And I have a bowl, so is it something it would sit in the bowl, or be clipped to the side.. orrrr what? Also, I clean the bowl, the rocks, and the plants, every saturday. Is that frequent enough?
You can expect to drop $12-$20 dollars (in America, anyway) for a small heater, and maybe $3 for a thermometer. Most heaters have suction cups that stick to the side of the tank, or you can just stick them in your gravel or something.

How big is your bowl? How often do you do water changes? Babies don't have a great immune system, so you need super clean water. Are you using water conditioner?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
If you can buy from online I really recommend this heater for small tanks, the 25Watt one of course. It tends to over compensate so you should set it at the lowest setting and work your way up until the THERMOMETER reads 80-82 not the heater. The thermometer you can easily get at walmart, they have glass floating ones you can throw in there ^_^ Stay away from preset heaters though and those dinky 7.5-10 watt heaters since they really don't do anything for you and it's just a waste of money :-/

The thermometer at walmart is only a dollar and a half for the glass one, the stick on ones aren't very accurate so the glass one is better.

And no, you should be doing daily water changes for the baby, even for your adult a 1 gallon needs to be done twice a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts